68| WTF IS HE DOING HERE ?

Mom's getting married to the asshole. Not the news I expected after I sobered. Two freaking weeks passed with my constant bickering, crying sessions, and midnight rants to a sleeping Bruno. Yet, here I was. Still stuck up at mom's place.

"Eva!" I heard the loudest scream my mom's shrill voice could afford in the decade. By the sound of it, it wasn't great news.

"What?" I rolled my eyes at her. Suddenly I was reminded of the high-school rebel version of myself. The kid who'd paint her nails, wear odd-colored pajamas to school, and pretend Ron Reagan was dead. Yeah, that was me.

"You broke Ron's car window, didn't you?" She asked, folding her hands across her chest.

"I didn't! I was swinging the baseball bat, and like a total dick that he is, he moved his car too close to where I was standing! It's entirely his fault!" I said, fisting my hands on my sides.

"She is lying, Jeanette!" Ron said, his lopsided grin in full view as he entered from the back door. Fucker.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked, and my mom glared. 'Behave' she telepathy the word into my head.

"I am doing exactly what a fiance does," Ron said as my mom turned around to land a kiss on his cheek. God, I am going to throw up.

"Whatever," I said, getting a cup of coffee as Ron snuggled my mom into a hug. What the fuck! Can't he see that I was standing right there?

"So you're not going to give me a lecture on how I should treat that ape nicely?" I said, gritting my teeth as my mom yanked him out of the hug.

"Eva, I thought I was done talking about this!" My mom said in a small voice.

"Mom, I told you I don't mind you marrying anyone you like. Yes, I am upset that you two are engaged, but I don't hate seeing you happy." I said, finally giving in to the truth.

"Honestly, I'd be surprised if you cooperated, Eva," Ron said as he leaned in to kiss my mom.

"Can't you put a leash around yourself when I am around?" I said, throwing the packet of cereals right into Ron's face; as he pretended to get hurt. My mom gave me the death stare.

"Sorry, I was aiming for the rack," I said, innocently lying. Fuck. I would throw boulders if I could. What does mom see in him?

"Practise throwing things then!" Ron scowled at me when my mom adjusted his collar. It was quite a sight. I hadn't seen that asshole of a man wearing dress shirts before. He was going to shop for the wedding dress with my mom. I prayed Martha to come back soon so she could drive me off to Bexley's Seattle Office. I didn't want to be around the place.

"Are you sure you don't want to come shop with me?" My mom asked as Ron hopped up, sitting on the kitchen counter. A few pans hit the side of his arm, and he uttered an 'ouch'. God exists. Thank you.

"Nope. I will pass. I have to sort out a few things at work before I take leave." I said. It was partly true because I could push the work for the juniors who'd force themselves to do all-nighters and get it done. But I won't. I don't want to go shopping with mom. Accepting the invitation to her and Ron's wedding was the hardest part. I'd let myself pass from other painful things.

The doorbell rang, and I rushed to open it, hoping it was Martha. To my amazement, Will Turner stood on the patio. His freshly painted Volkswagen shined in the winter morning, and I thought I had lost it.

"Hi, there!" He said, pulling off his shades. His eyes were dark. His right eyebrow scar stared back at me, as I shifted in my shoes. Reminders of the last time we were together, rushed into my head, and I found myself wandering in the dark place again.