35| MURPHY'S LAW: Part-1

Five minutes had passed by without speaking a word. Somehow Will wasn't least bothered by that. Ever since I entered, he was typing furiously and barely made eye contact. Why am I always stuck in awkward situations with him? I knew that showing up with swollen eyes in the middle of the day won't make it any better. But I thought we had some development from that night . I woke up straddled in his arms in that morning. How did we get here?

It seemed like it hardly mattered to him! When I entered, he shot me a wallowing glance, and as if I was nothing more than a pile of trash, he discarded me, and now I was sitting in his office, stubbornly, waiting to get some attention. Why the hell is he acting like this? My stomach tied into knots, and the growing tension between us choked me up to the point I felt like throwing up.

"Leave." I thought my conscience was talking to me.

"Leave!" He repeated, and I felt myself shuddering in my chair.His grey eyes burned with anger. I had done nothing scandalous to be stared at with so much hate. Then, why?

"We need to talk..." I said, adamant, but he hardly paid attention to my words.

"Why won't you hear me out?" I said, walking up to his desk and looking him in the eye.  I felt a lump forming in my throat.

"I would have talked if you hadn't entered my office after fucking your goddamned boyfriend in the janitor's closet!" He barked, and I could feel a part withering and dying within.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I said, my head filled with agonizing thoughts, my palm curled up in fists, too tight that I could feel my fingers screeching against the skin. Damn! It hurts.

"HR reported a fling in the workplace, and guess who was spotted together, getting mushy and clingy on the cameras!" He seethed, and I only gaped at him.

It was wrong! He got it all wrong.

"Nothing happened!" I said, tears building behind my irises and a burning sting spread across them. The whole world spinned in my head.

"Sure." He rolled his eyes. 

His fingers ran across the back of his head, and he walked away, standing in front of the window, his favorite place to confide.

"I won't ask you for the details, but could you please leave before I do something I'd forever regret?" He said in a distant, cold voice.

It was hard to decipher what was in his head when I couldn't look into his eyes.

"You know what, I thought you deserved to know what happened, but I guess this is what it is! Never mind." I said and turned away, walking out of his office to find Amanda with one of her maroon red smirks. 

Surprisingly, today she wasn't sulking. I guess the Universe works that way for us. On days I am happy she isn't, and on days I feel like walking shit, she's a prima donna.

"Hi, there!" She waved at me as I pretended to ignore her with an ultra fake smile plastered on her lips.

"Hi." Just a plain Hi... That's what comes out when you have no interest in talking with someone. I would say Amanda is a nemesis, but she truly isn't. As a redhead and one of the pretty-looking woman I had seen in my life, I admired her, but as a human who keeps stirring more problems in people's lives, she always made it impossible to keep it that way.

Sometimes you hate people just because you want to; the other times, folks earn it. She deserved her share of hate, and now she was pretending as if we were high school best friends.

"So, how's it going double timing?" She asked. Her lips curled up in a smirk as I looked at her questioningly.

"What are you talking about?" I asked with a raised eyebrow, and she laughed sarcastically.

"Oh God, Eva! Why don't they hire you for an acting campaign? All this talent is wasted here at Bexley's!" She scoffed, and I could feel the bile rising.

"I gotta go. I am not in the mood for a chat." I said.

I felt the tug on my arm.

"What's the rush? Is another one of your lovers waiting for you to get to them?" She added, and I could feel the disgust in her tone. 

"What the fuck is wrong with you? What the hell do you even know about me?" I yelled at her face, not able to hold back. She gaped at me, and with another moment gone, I could feel a heavy hand landing on my cheek.

"How dare you talk to me like that, you slut! Sleeping with Josh, and then you go on seducing Will! Know your place, wench!" She spitted.

By this time, the whole 102nd Floor of Trivia was watching us closely. Those people I had never seen earlier at work; were also gathered to make the best of the show. I don't even know all their names. I would have brought everyone tubs of popcorn some other day, but today, it's a different story. My cheek stung, my mind piqued with agony, and I felt like crap! Bitch.

"You think assaulting me like this makes you any better?" I said, biting my lip, trying not to cry.

I was never good with fights, so I never initiated one. All I could do right now was

1) Stay and fight

2)Run and cry

3) Do both simultaneously.

"Just because you are beautiful and needy doesn't mean you are any better than me! All you do is gossip about me and people who don't give a damn about your opinion. Yes, I am a nutjob most of the time but do you even know what the hell's wrong with my life? If you don't, fucking-just back off and stop making it more shitty than it already is!"

As I walk to the elevator, stares and whispers followed me. Now I was no more the office slut. I was the office tabloid, hot news 1-0-1: Slut gets slapped by HR Head, leaves crying like a fucking baby. Tears built up in my eyes, dropping from the corners with each step I took forward.

Fourteen and a half. That's how far the elevator door was, but the distance felt like a mile. I hit the buttons, and the doors fly open. I need to get out of here before I am a mess.

I hadn't watched life turn upside down this quick. In the past thirty minutes, I had lost more than I could count. Boyfriend, friend, respect, reputation, and the list go on. I hit the button for the roof.

 I hit the button for the roof