23| CHOCOLATE BOY PROPOSALS

'Brian's Bar' was a little more crowded these days. Friday nights were a sucker for poker, alcohol, and young love. Jazz music filled the air that smelled of alcohol. Every booth was occupied by potential lovers, mumbling sweet nothings in their partner's ears as the waiters counted their orders. Good food, expensive alcohol, and romantic moods- there's a complete package at your disposal if you ever stop by Brian's.  The whole place undergoes a 180° transformation after nine. The soft jazz turns into juicy sass. Kissing couples, drunk fights, strip teasing, and other things that shouldn't be named happen after nine!

"You know you should sell your business idea to Tiffins! I can't bear to see your talent dying with the kitchen rats, Brian." I told Brian.

"What we lack in the capital, we make up with creativity, kid! We need a few more crashing Fridays to take down Tiffins!"

He was as hopeful as ever. Uncle Brian, or just our plain old Brian, was closest to a relative to me in East Fordshire after I moved from Seattle. 

"Are you here to get drunk or on a date?"Brian said in jovially.

Us Mellons and our terrible sense of humor!

The years had roughened up on him but never on his health. His belly became two inches thicker than when I last saw him. He had brown eyes, like all us Mellons had. 

"Neither. I am here to meet someone. A co-worker."I said, not going into details.

 I decided on a table for two. A booth was for people who wanted to be touchy and feely with each other.

It was not like he wasn't going to find out eventually. Th e round wall clock struck 8:00. I had arrived fifteen minutes earlier after deciding on a simple summer dress- nothing too extravagant, neither too simple, just classy enough to tell me off as a desperate chic.

Five more minutes went by when the door turned open. 

A pair of sea blue eyes, brown locks, and a clean shaved jaw line... Hallelujah! Josh was here. 

"Hi there, Eva. Sorry for making you wait."Josh said in his husky tone, his lips drawn into a smile.

Black is his color. I thought.

"No probs. I just got in here too." I lied. 

If it were for Josh, I could wait for years. I knew we were meeting up, but Josh didn't tell me he was getting all dressed up.  So good that it would hurt if I didn't take a good look at him. His smile broke into dimples, and his eyes looked livid.

"You look great!"He said with a smile, and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Thank you. You look great too!"I blabbered, and he chuckled.

 I could smell his cologne.

The misty scent teased my senses, and his eyes promised me a never-ending dream. The air intoxicated with his scent and alcohol already had me a little high. 

"Two glasses of white wine, please!"I ordered for us.

I saw Josh shift in his chair. It must be of paramount importance for him to ask me out for dinner to talk about it.

"It's alright. You can tell me what it is." I said, taking a sip from my glass.

Whatever it was, I wish it were to happen sooner. I couldn't guarantee what was about to happen.

He seemed further lost in his thoughts. Oh, God! It was one of those looks people have when they have killed someone or are about to be killed. I swallowed a lump forming in my throat.More worried than ever for him. He looked gorgeous, but what's the point if he was about to die? Right?

"Eva, I have tried to tell you for a very long time..." He started.

Pity wallowed in my eyes.

"I know, I know, Josh. Please go on. I knew it must be real and happens to most people. Not as dramatically, but still..."I said with my hands clasped together.

"You know about that? Oh, God! That's embarrassing. I want to say it aloud to you..." He said, getting a hold of my palm.

Our skin brushed against each other. My breath hitched.

"Nothing is embarrassing about it. I am with you, always." I said, meaning every word of it, though not sure of the always part. But with him? Yes. Possibly.

"It is the happiest thing to ever happen to me!" I said.

At this point, I knew we weren't on the same page. What the hell was he talking about, Eva? Why am I so damn clueless? Did he literally kill someone now? Oh God.

"Eva...I like you." He said, squeezing my hand.

"I know, I know. Wait. What? You like me?" I nearly choked on my spit.

Holy Crap. He freaking said that he 'liked' me.

To make sure I heard it correctly, I asked him again.

"You like me?"

"Yes, I like you, Eva." He reassures, looking into my eyes.

"You mean, like a friend?" 

"I mean like a girlfriend." He said. His cheeks flushed a deep shade of red.

"You do! Oh my god!" I screamed a little too loud, and everyone turned to stare at our table.

 Was today the day when everything will fall into place? Is this nirvana? I could feel all the puzzle pieces finding their positions on the board, and this might be it.

"Would you go out with me?" He said, still staring into my eyes.

"Yes!" I said, and tears escaped my eyes.

It was finally happening! Joshua Harris had asked me out to be his girlfriend. Could I die happier than the woman I was then?

"You're the only for me." He said, and I could see a red flag.

 What happened to the Oblivious Juliet? The Notebook? The Office Romeo? Do I still need to go on with Will's bucketlist? So many questions... I gulped the rest of the wine in one go.