19| CORPRATE CINDERELLA

3 months later.

"Is that what you are gonna wear?"

Roms rolled her eyes at my sequin-black dress. For someone who had everything curated per se occasion, it would naturally come off as a bit under-dressed to wear a dress from Season Sale (50% off).

"It's black. It's formal. Feels comfortable. It will survive." I said, trying to zip it up.

 Much to my dismay and Roms' horror, the fabric came tearing down as I tried it on again. 

"Oh no! That's the only dress I have!" I shrieked.

"We are in a fashion jeopardy." Roms screamed, and Miss Mason's Tabby screeched on our window. What the hell was that cat doing here?  

I heard a knock on the door, and found old lady Mason in her night gown.

"How may I help you?" I asked, when she rubbed her eyes.

"Tabitha is here. Can you get her for me?" 

"Uh-sure." I said, hoping the dress doesn't tear down more.

Nearing her fifties, she knew that her sole aim in life was to dress up pretty, so she did. New shades, new lipsticks, new nail art; you name it, if it was out in the streets, then Miss Mason was the first to try it out. Her other obsession in the otherwise-petty world was her cat Tabby. She had spoiled her Tabby who would keep clawing random animals on street. 

I walked to the window, hoping Tabitha would cooperate. 

"Good kitty, come here." I leaned to get the devil of a fur ball when she jumped back to Miss Mason's balcony. 

I could hear the rip loud and clear, and realised my back had nothing to cover it. Fucking cat. 

"Aaaahhh! It's ruined!" Roms screamed.

"Did I hear anyone scream? Are you okay, Eva darlin'?" Miss Mason chirped.

"Ahh, Miss Mason! Sorry for being shabby. Nothing much going on here."

"I see. What's all the fuss about?"

She asked with her forehead creasing into wrinkles that her Botox couldn't afford to hide. Maybe she couldn't arrange for the complementary treatment.

"You must be Rowina." She turned to Roms, eyeing her suspiciously.

"It's Romilda, Miss Mason." Roms immediately corrected her. When she had analyzed Roms, she turned up to me and caught the attention of the ripped fabric. The dress turned where it slightly parted on my knee. Her green eyes turned into a shade of horror as if she had seen a ghoul on Halloween night.

"It is a fashion jeopardy!" She screamed louder than Roms. Fuck. Now I was going to get screwed. In fashion.

~

A sparkle of hope shone in Roms's eyes. At that moment, both Roms and Miss Mason knew that they were some long-lost sisters united by a torn-up dress, pretty much like the girls did in the sisterhood of traveling pants. Sisterhood of fashion obsessed. I sighed.

"It's such a sore sight to see young damsels as you dressed so poorly, Eva darlin'."

"I agree with you, Miss Mason!" Roms chimed in.

It was two against one.They both teamed against me, making it a point that I had to wear a more elegant and comfortably breezy dress and not a black sac with torn-up fabric.

"We need a better dress, but I think I can't buy one right now. Kade will think I am skipping out on therapy when he gets the credit card info." Roms added.

"No worries mademoiselle. I think I know what our little Eva needs! Follow me, Rubina.

We are getting ourselves a pretty Cinderella!"

Roms didn't even notice her name misspelled, or maybe she didn't care, and followed Miss Mason. No time to waste.

~

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I scowled back at myself in the mirror.

"Eva darlin', don't fucking f-word in front of me! I am an elegant woman of age!" Miss Mason said sneering.

"Of course, of course! I look like a crazy red jalapeno! This dress is way too red hot for a formal event!"I retaliated. I was not going to show up wearing that! No fucking way.

"No, you don't. It's hot and sassy as fuck!" Roms defended her forte.

"I will shake hands with about ten men at the convention, not strip dance or seduce them!" I said. They've got to be kidding me!

"She has a point!"Miss Mason agreed dejectedly.

That was the tenth dress from her collection of dresses, and I almost suspected that she owned a boutique somewhere. As fate would have it, most of them were my size, and I ended up being their barbie doll. Except I would bite back if dressed up rather brazenly.

All of us had nearly given up hope of getting a perfect dress when my eye caught on a white, flared gown with a halter neck. As if we all had the same idea twirling in our heads, Roms dashed it.

"Perfect!" She screeched.

Miss Mason sighed as I switched into it. Her eyes gleamed victoriously.

"What about the shoes? You aren't wearing those hideous black pumps, are you?" Roms eyed me suspiciously. I was going to wear those. 

"I would wear something comfortable," I said, trying to force a smile.

"No damn way!" She shook her head.

Minute later, showed up with a big white box. Coming out of it was a pair of white stiletto sandals. They sparkled from their straps.

"Oh. My. God. Where'd you get those from?" I asked her wide-eyed.

"Well, think of it as a gift!" She said.

"I can't accept that, Roms," I said.

"But, I ain't the one gifting you ...It's from a certain someone whom I am not going to name for safety reasons." She laughed, and her eyes had a hint of mischief in them.

"Wait. Who?" I stared at her wide-eyed.

"You'll know soon. But all that matters right now is you will wear these stilettos. No excuses, no questions..."

"Isn't your event at eight sharp? Hurry your ass, darling!" Miss Mason interjected.

"Damn. I will be hurrying then. When I get back, I need answers." I said, turning the doorknob.

"Oh Eva, take care! All the best." Roms pulled me into a hug.

I had to admit that getting a friend like Roms was the only great thing that had happened; ever since I had moved to East Fordshire. There was so much that we have been through together.

"Thank you for everything" I muttered,  and hurried down the stairs, hoping I don't fall.

I had to buy a bouquet of roses for Josh! I sighed.