44| LIES

What happens when you are in heaven? Does your whole existence seem liberating? Are all your inside jokes no good at making the angels laugh? What do souls say when God sneezes? No one knew, and then there was me, more clueless than anybody else.

Heaven wasn't a cloudy, dreamy garden opening to a golden gate. Surprisingly, heaven was too dark. When light entered my eyes, I realized that heaven used hanging roof lights too. Wow, God must have upgraded the whole tech thing up here! Still, it was too dark to spot other things, but I could make out a couch. A couch in heaven? It sounded as weird as it looked.

I raised my hands to see if my entire existence was now but a ghostly illusion? To my amazement, I could still see the dusky skin sitting tight on my arms, and there was nothing different with my legs except that somehow I couldn't feel any fabric covering my body. Is this what people mean when they refer to nirvana? Or was I walking dead now? Did I sin too much by reading Fifty Shades of Grey? Is that why I am stuck in my dead body?

A realization hit me. What if it wasn't heaven? It was hell! It had to be.

"Oh God, please forgive me. I am sorry I have sinned." I wailed when I heard footsteps.

Shit.

From the large door, a figure stood as I held my breath in my lungs; that was if I still owned them. Devil was here for me! He was coming for my soul. What am I going to do?

"In the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit, I order you to leave me alone," I said, and the darkness vanished. Wow, it worked!

Maybe not. As the lights filled in, Will Turner stood with his naked torso. Fuck, he's no devil. God, am I seeing a Greek God? My mouth dropped down to gape at his ripped front.

Damn, I am a crackhead even after I die. Will Turner looked a lot like the Devil. No wonder why he loved giving me a hard time. I sighed.

"Are you okay, Eva?" He asked.

Fuck. Devil sounds like Will too. And he knows my name?

"Eva?" He said and moved closer.

His fingers rested against my cheek, and I could feel the warmth of his palm.I grew conscious of myself and realized that I was wearing nothing. A duvet covered me from front to bottom. I blinked my eyes and hoped I would know what to do. But I don't. Instead, I stare.

"Am I dead? Are you here for my soul?" I said, gulping down a lump in my throat.

"What? No! You aren't dead. Though you nearly did. We're at my place." He said, and I curled up under the duvet.

Why was I in his bedroom? Everything else was a blur in my head. Based on the fact that the only two living people here are us, it could only mean one thing. Did he undress me? Fuck! God! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! I wasn't dead. That could only mean one thing. Will Turner saw me practically 'naked'...

My breath hitched at the thought, my brain pounded, and my limbs felt heavy. I could pass out of shame.

"Easy there. Take deep breaths, Eva!" He said, and I could feel his cologne simmering in the air.

I slapped my head and raised my eyes to meet his.

"Did you undress me?" I asked, and he looked like he choked on his breath.

"No-Yes- I mean- I did, but I didn't see anything. I swear-I-" He said, his fingers brushing the back of his head. His cheeks turned beet red.

"Never mind. It's nothing that you haven't seen before..." I blurted without thinking, and when I realized the tension between us grew awkward.