66 | BREAKING

Five hours later

The Seattle sun was far away from the horizon when I crashed into the fence before I could make it to the patio. My legs had gone numb from all the walking, and it seemed like the road was never going to end. Was it always like that? I have heard people brawling about how the walk is always longer when you are moving away from your favorite place. My favorite place was a lie. My favorite place was snoring somewhere in Paradise Inn's suite. My favorite place was left behind.

When I steadied myself, I watched the solitary bulb turn on. In the darkness of the other end, a faint figure appeared, and I prayed it wasn't a ghost. I rubbed my eyes as I stepped onto the patio. My head spun a little from the alcohol and the fact that I left the man I almost loved for life.

"Eva," I heard the voice ringing in my head. Did I miss mom? It sounded like that.

The lights flicked on brighter, and the fairy lights on the window sill blinked to life as I watched mom standing at the door. My eyes hurt from crying, and I noticed my nose was watery.

"Eva, where have you been the whole night?" She inquired in the small of her voice, clearly hinting she wasn't ready for drama.

"I was at a friend's place." I lied, looking her in the eye. It became a practice. She couldn't tell when I was lying because she didn't know a thing about me. How would she, when she rarely sticks around? And now, she had already moved on with life, forgetting dad. There I was, drunk, broken, wanting someone to hold me, and yet I couldn't run back into her arms. I didn't remember when was the last time I confided in her. I let out a sigh, hugging on the jumper. The hints of Will's cologne on it made me sick.

"Eva, you don't have any friends. You look terrible!" She said, scrunching her nose. Ouch. Thanks for reminding mom. I don't have friends. News, I don't have a family too. I forced a fake smile on my face, knowing how much she hated it when I do that.

"I don't have a mom, either!" I said, rubbing it in her face, and I could feel the sharp stinging on my cheek.

"You have changed, Eva! You have changed!" She yelled it in my face, and I felt myself tremble. I knew I had. Ask any tree that weathered the autumn... it would change too.

"That's rich coming from you, mom. Or should I say, soon-to-be Mrs. Reagan!" I chuckled.

"Watch what you are saying!" Mom seethed, and I felt myself falling apart. Fuck the alcohol.

"You are the one who was fucking Ron!  You are a cougar." I seethed.

"I didn't ask your opinion on my love life!" She said hysterically, and I could help but grin at her folly.

"Sure. Do you even know that the man you are dating ruined my high school life?" I said, challenging her, and she gasped.

"Ron Reagan framed me as the school slut, and he fucking ruined my high-school days," I said the words right into her face. She looked at me horrified.

"You are lying!" She said, giving me a pathetic look.

"Sure. When you never stick around, how would you know? And now you are engaged to that asshole of a man!" I said, gritting my teeth.

"Enough, Eva! I won't listen to a word against Ron." Mom said, her face stiffened, as her small nose turned red, and she glared at me.

"Not all people we love are honest," I said the words, more to myself than to her when I walked past her.

"We aren't done with this!" She screamed from behind, and I walked into my bedroom, plopping on the bed.

Tears ran down my cheeks. I thought I couldn't cry more than I already had. My throat turned dry, and the urge to get choked on my breath was very tempting.

"Will..."

His name lay stifled in my larynx. I needed him, but I couldn't go back to him.

For anything that read: 'l-o-v-e'; pain is a free add-on. Pain is a derivative of love, and lately, everyone I loved was hurting me from within. I closed my eyes, hoping that he would know. A silent gospel hung in my cries as I was buried in my bed with lifeless limbs, trying to make it to the morning.

Breathe, Eva. Breathe. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten.

 Ten