I Thought Forever (Fem Reader)

Y/N laid in her bed, the large king feeling empty, even the heavy weight of the sheets did nothing to cure the loneliness. The moonlight slivered through the window, reflecting the cold feeling of the room that once felt so warm and so at home. Scatters of both hers and Stephen's things lay about the room, dust gathering on most of the objects. 

The canopy above the bed moved occasionally with the wind, holding her attention as the tears ran down her face, shining in the moonlight.  She was silent, the only noise in the room was that of the clock and the curtains blowing from the open windows that let the cold New York air into the room. 

She wasn't worried about the cold weather making her sick, none of that mattered to her anymore. The only person that would have truly cared was Stephen and he was away, not there to tell her to get up and do the everyday routine tasks that she had let fall away from her grasp in the past few weeks. 

Y/N didn't care when she heard a noise in the room, a slight movement, like someone walking towards her. No one was in the Sanctum besides her and Wong, and he had seen her at her worse. 

"You need to close the window, love," Stephen told Y/N, her turning slightly to meet his gaze, a pained expression painted on her face. 

She tried to whisper, days of not speaking preventing her at first, "I will, eventually."

"Eventually?" Stephen asked sending her a playful look, causing a light smile to appear for just a second on Y/N's face. 

He lifted up the sheets, sliding under, Y/N moving over to meet his embrace. Her heart aching from missing it, the place she felt most comfortable, next to him, her home. Everything about memorized, the way his chest felt against her head, the slight stubble he had around his goatee, the slight shake of his hands whenever he would hold her face with them. 

Stephen looked down at her with concern, taking his thumb to brush away the tears on her face, "Don't cry, love. You're too beautiful."

The words sent pain to her chest, her instinct being to get closer to him however she could. Stephen's arms going to bring her head next to his.

His blue eyes met hers, his face painted with a happy yet weary smile. "Would a kiss make you feel better?"

She nodded timidly, Stephen's hand bringing her face closer to his, their lips clashing. The tears mixing with the taste of his lips on hers, she never wanted to forget that feeling. The way that every time he used to kiss her felt like magic, like nothing else in the world mattered besides the two of them together, now nothing would feel like that again. 

"I miss you, so so much," Y/N choked out as their lips departed from one another. The tears Stephen had wiped away flowed freely once again. "Will I ever get used to it?"

"I can't say you will, love. But I know you, you're strong, you'll get through this," Stephen's voice sounded like a melody to her ears, even if it was filled with sadness at the state of her. 

"I still have your things, they stare at me every night, like painful reminders," Y/N stopped her hand flying to her mouth, trying to cover up the soft barely recognizable sob that escaped her mouth, "but I just can't bring myself to accept it, you can't be gone." 

She moved to get as close as she could, burying her face into the grey shirt Stephen had loved so much, the one that she constantly stole because he claimed it made her look like a goddess on Earth. The same shirt was now wrecked with tear stains, losing his scent with every wash.

"I keep building hope up, that you'll come home," Y/N told Stephen bringing her face out of his shirt and tracing his cheek with her finger. "I keep hoping that one of them will come home, helping you up our doorstep, saying you were only injured but that you're safe now."

"I'm sorry," Stephen whispered, his rough baritone voice, even rough still in a whisper, bringing back countless memories in Y/N's mind. 

"I thought that we'd be together forever," Y/N told Stephen, glancing at the pictures on the bedside table of the two of them, memories flooding her mind. Stephen proposing, after bringing her through a portal to the cliffside where a picnic was set up. Her clinging to him with all her weight after he got home from a dangerous mission for the Kamar Taj, both of them not knowing that Wong had gotten a picture of the moment. Another of them at Peter's graduation, Y/N, and the spiderling with beaming smiles on their faces while Stephen had a soft smile on his face while watching them from behind.  Her and Stephen lying in this same bed, both with messy hair and goofy smiles, watching movies all day while cuddling together under the sheets.

"No one can be together forever, my love," Stephen told Y/N, breaking her thought away from the fond moments of her life, that she and Stephen had treasured more than anything. Simple moments, like ones, like right now used to be, before it all went wrong when everything turned painful.

She looked at him again, waves of sadness pouring over her body as if they would never ever leave, "I don't want to let you go." 

"I-" Y/N started before stopping to gather herself, "I can't."

She didn't bother to cover up the sobs this time, now a daily occurrence for her and Wong, who had given up hope in trying to stop them. Stephen laying next to her, her catching him out of the corner of her eye watching her, pained. 

"I thought forever too," Stephen told her, trying to comfort her, his actions having the opposite effect. Her mind replayed what she had been told weeks ago.

"He's gone, Y/N," Wong told her as he hugged her close, her face hidden in his tunic, soaked through with tears, but he didn't mind, only trying to comfort his friend, softly stroking her back to get her to let it all out.

"How?" Y/N asked, her eyes filled with pain that only the loss of someone that had lost their true love could hold.  Her face was stained with tear streaks, her eyes a permanent red, with tears, for the coming weeks. 

"The mission, an ambush. They wanted to destroy the planet, it was him or us."

Y/N's mind was only filled with the thought of him giving himself up to save her, to save everyone, even those that didn't believe he was doing good. She wanted him to come home, to tell her it was okay, that they could go through life together as they had planned. That the missions would get easier like he requested since he had his heart set on being there for their wedding day, it would never happen now. From now on it would only be memorials, people paying their respects, and the funeral. 

"I can't stop feeling like this, Stephen. It hurts, it hurts so much," Y/N cried, her hands clinching Stephen's shirt, "I don't know how to do anything anymore without you, I'm so numb."

"I can't promise it will get better," Y/N could feel the cold touch of his lips on her forehead, she still had it memorized and hoped and prayed that it would never fade away, that she could always remember his voice, his kisses, his sweet words every damn time she felt down. 

"I miss you," Y/N told him, hoping that wherever he actually was he could hear her, know that she missed him more than anything.

Y/N turned away, letting go of Stephen's shirt, looking at the moon, blinking, and turning to be met with no one there. She was alone, once again, like she had been for weeks, like she would always be.

The cold breeze of the still open window hit her face, sending a shiver down her body as it mixed with the cold tears streaming freely, a harsh reminder of what she had lost and would forever mourn.

AN: Literally wrote this jamming to the Devilman Crybaby soundtrack so don't judge me if some parts are less angsty than others