VIII. UNTIL EVERY STAR BURNS OUT

As soon as Tk made it to Mike's house he went straight to the bathroom that was down there

As soon as Tk made it to Mike's house he went straight to the bathroom that was down there. He came out freshly changed into regular clothes along with his converse instead of those dress shoes and his hat.

" where did you get those?" Dustin asked gesturing to the new clothes he was wearing.

"I always bring an extra pair of clothes in my bag. you know in case I spill something or someone else needs something to wear. you don't?"

Dustin just shook his head and went back to pacing around with his compass.

" what are you doing?" Tk questioned watching him with the compass. Dustin told him to pull out his compass. which he did the needle that is in the compass to tell you which way to go was going haywire.

" What's wrong with them?"

"I don't know Tk," Dustin replied.

" Dustin, Tk, what are you doing? Tk? Dustin?" Mike called out to them. Mike and Lucas still calling their names seeing as they didn't answer the first time.

" We need to see your compasses please," Tk said, turning towards them.

"what."

" your compasses. all of your compasses, right now!" Dustin demanded.

Mike and Lucas scramble to gather all of the compasses they own. Tk only had one and that was the one in his hand so he just placed it on the table with the rest of the compasses.

" What's exciting about this?" Mike said.

" Well, they're all facing north, right?" Dustin stated.

" Yeah, so?" Lucas spoke.

" Well, that's not true north." Tk chimed in.

" What do you mean?" Lucas asked.

"I mean exactly what I just said. That's not true north. Are you both seriously this dense?" Dustin questioned to which Lucas just shrugged.

" The sun rises in the east, and it sets in the west. right? which means that's true north," Tk explained pointing in the right direction of north.

" so what you're saying is the compasses are broken." Mike guessed.

" do you even understand how a compass works? Do you see a battery pack on this?" Dustin said, showing all the sides of the compass.

" no."

" no, you don't. Because it doesn't need one. the needle's naturally drawn to the earth's magnetic north pole." Dustin explained.

" So what's wrong with them? Lucas raised a question

"Well, that's what I couldn't figure out, but then I remembered. You can change the direction of a compass with a magnet. If there's the presence of a more powerful magnetic field, the needle deflects to that power. and then I remembered what Mr. Clarke said. the gate would have so much power-" Dustin started to explain but cut off.