Chapter 8

Chapter 8

 By the middle of the school day, everything was running smoothly with people stopping to tell us congratulations or how we make such a cute couple. There were a few girls who seemed heartbroken and would come up to ask what he saw in me. He would simply say I wasn’t them and put his arm around me to walk to our next class.

By the time lunch came, though, I was in desperate need for some space. I wasn’t used to all this attention and I wanted to be left alone, so when the teacher asked Brandon to stay after class, I took my chance and ran off to the girls’ bathroom to get some breathing space from him till the next class.

I stood there looking at myself in the mirror and wondering what he had meant when he told the girl I wasn’t her. What could he mean by that? There was nothing special about me as far as I could tell, so why did it warm my heart when he said that?

This was something I needed to watch out for. I couldn’t let his smooth talking get the best of me. That was something I’ve seen bad boys do: smooth talk their way out of trouble and get away with some of the shitty things they’ve done.

I thought I was alone till I heard someone say, “You must think you’re someone special to have Brandon’s attention the way do. What, did he knock you up and had to marry you?”

I turned my head to see the person I tried to avoid since this morning, Jasmine. With her jet black hair and piercing blue eyes and model figure, it was no wonder why guys chase after her. I had heard rumors about her and Brandon having a fling, but I’ve never really seen them together.

“That’s not it,” I said, trying to reason with her as I stepped away from the mirror. “There’s more to the reason for us getting married than you will ever understand.”

It seemed to be humorous for her with the way she let out a laugh. “Oh, you poor lost soul. You know nothing about your so-called husband. He already told me the reason why he married you. Did you know he just me up against the wall in the janitor closet? He doesn’t love you and really wished he didn’t marry you.”

It wasn’t her telling me that Brandon was with her in the janitor closet that hurt - it was that he told her the reason why. I didn’t ask him not to tell anyone about my home life, but I felt betrayed by this. Why would he tell her, of all people, something so personal, when he seemed so caring about my feelings yesterday?  

She stepped up to me with a smirk on her face. “You mean nothing to Brandon. The whole school knows you’re just a joke to him. Who would want a loser like you? You’re just this spike in the yearbook everyone looks over.”

As the tears of hurt fell down my cheeks, I was unable to answer her, for she was right. Why would I think Brandon or any guy would want someone like me? I was broken. I would always be this unloved girl that no one would ever care about.

“I suggest you stay away from Brandon before I step in and tell everyone the truth about why you got married,” she said, pushing me against the wall on her way out. “Remember this, sweetheart. He’s mine and no one will take him away from me.”

When she was gone, my world started to spin and I was left in a world of darkness, with only Jasmine’s laughter to hear.

When I finally woke up, the first thing I noticed was that I was lying on a cot in the nurse’s office with the light flickering above me. The second thing was someone yelling about how they better figure out who did this and if he found out before them, then they were going to pay. Third was hearing Jasmine’s voice in my head telling me that Brandon told her why we ended up getting married.