Chapter 7

Chapter 7

 Before going to school, Brandon’s mom, Melinda, made us some breakfast. We were eating when I heard his father from outside, shouting on top of his lungs how he should call the cops on someone. It wasn’t till he walked into the dining area that I could see what made him so angry. His hair, that was nicely fixed yesterday, now resembled a bird’s nest. His clothes had some rips in them, but what really caught my eye was the bruise appearing on his cheek. 

“Dear God, Louis, what happened to you?” Melinda asked. Brandon had a murderous look in his eyes as he tried to figure out the same thing.

“I left this morning to go get Kami’s school things like I said I would last night. When I got to the house, that pathetic excuse for a human being opened the door. I asked him for her stuff and he punched me. It ended with me having to knock him out, but damn, I’m too old for this shit,” he lengthily explained, dropping my school bag to the ground.

To Brandon he said, “Next time you decide to save a girl and marry her, make sure you grab her school bag first.”

Brandon just laughed, shaking his head. “Will do,” he said before going back to his breakfast. 

Nothing else was said as we all finished eating. Brandon and I got up to leave when his father spoke again.

“Before you two run off, I want to talk to both of you.”

I eyed Brandon, thinking what it could be about. He looked down at the floor and I knew whatever it was, it wasn’t going to be good.

We followed him to his office and were told to shut the door behind us. “Please sit,” he said, gesturing to the chairs in front of his desk as he sat on it. I took a seat as Brandon stood by the other empty chair. “I’m not going to sugar coat this. The way you two went about getting married is for all the wrong reasons, but I respect my son here for doing what he thought was best.”

Then he walked around the desk and sat down in the chair, still eyeing us. “As I told Brandon last night, now that you are married, you need to act like a married couple. That means my son here will have to treat you like a wife.”

“Sir, that’s not fair to him. Yes, we got married, but I don’t see why he needs to be faithful. We got married so he could protect me, not to fall in love.” I tried to reason with him, seeing now what made Brandon act the way he did yesterday. “We agreed that after graduation we’ll get a divorce. By then I would get my inheritance that my grandmother left me and I would be fine on my own.”

Mr. Mitchell nodded as he said, “Yes, Brandon told me this all and I’ll have my lawyers look into that for you, but I think this is the kind of thing Brandon needs to learn to be more grounded.”

“What do you mean more grounded?” Brandon finally asked, looking at his father with a suspicious look.

“Son, your mother and I are at our wits end with your troubling ways. My brother can only do so much down at the police station to keep your record clean, but it’s harder now that you’re of age,” his father answered. “We told you to stop misbehaving and I hope this marriage will help you see things in a different light.”

“Okay, is there anything else you need to tell us? Kami here wants to go to school,” Brandon said, sounding annoyed about all this. Maybe this marriage was already too much for him to handle and he was second guessing it.

“Yes, there’s more. To remind you that you are married to one another, I want you to wear these.” He pulled out two white-gold rings from his pocket. “These were the rings that your mother and I wore the night we got married and since it seems history is repeating itself, I think it’s only natural for you to wear them.”