Chapter 2 √

Chapter 2

 When Brandon and I had gotten to the cafeteria for lunch, he had dragged me to a table in the back. He told me to stay put while he went and got us something to eat, leading to him placing a tray full of foreign objects in front of me. I looked down at the food thinking that it was going to come alive and eat me as I poked some mushy green substance. Brandon took note that I wasn’t eating and let out a deep sigh.

“Kami, you need to eat. It’s not healthy to starve yourself,” I heard him say, pulling out the chair next to me and sitting down. I looked over at him as he started to dig in the food on his tray.

“I don’t starve myself. I just never had money to buy lunch,” I told him, looking back down at the tray of food. I was a little scared of eating it, when I was unsure what it really was. I started poking at some of the green soupy stuff that had green stems floating in it. “What is this stuff?” 

I watched from the corner of my eye as he turned his head to see what I was talking about. I was still swirling my utensil in the green soupy substance. “I think they’re green beans. I’m really not sure what any of these are.”

I looked at him just in time when he turned to look at me. If he didn’t know what this stuff was, what made him think I was going to eat it? “Ok, so maybe it’s not all that healthy, but it beats starving.”

All I could do was smile at his accusations about the cafeteria food.

Seeing me smile made him smile back at me, showing his perfect straight teeth. “You should smile more. You have a beautiful smile. I rather see you smiling, than having that scared look you always have on your face,” he commented. The reminder of what I had coming once I got home, made me go back into my shell, thinking once again how being around Brandon right now was wrong.  “Hey, what’s wrong? If I said something out of conduct, I’m sorry.” He tried to grab my hand that was in my lap but I pulled away from him. “Kami, don’t do this. I’m trying to help you, so stop pushing me away.”

“Brandon, this is wrong. I don’t need your help nor do I want it,” I replied, pushing the tray away from me. All I could think about was the kind of trouble I would be in once my stepfather found out about Brandon. Plus, I couldn’t stop thinking that Brandon was just playing with my head. That this was all just some sort of game to see if he could hook me like he did with the other girls. I was abused physically on a daily basis and I wasn’t about to let some boy abuse me emotionally by playing with my feelings.  

I sighed, pushed back my chair and stood up. As I went down to get my school bag, but he grab hold of my elbow, but didn’t squeeze too tightly. “Kami, where are you going?” he asked. It seemed that there was a hint of hurt in his voice when he spoke to me.

“Away. I don’t know what it’s going to take for you to understand that you can’t help me. Go find some other girl to drool over you, because I’m not going to be that girl,” I said and jerked my arm out of his hold, causing the pain from my side to light a little on fire. I ignored it as I walked out of the cafeteria to try to get some space from him.

I don’t understand this guy and why he became protective over me since this morning. He was known for causing trouble, not helping people out. He walked through the school like he owned it and no one really wanted to cross him, afraid to get on his bad side.

If someone did have the nerve to say something to him that came across disturbing, he didn’t think twice before attacking them. I’ve seen too many fights in the halls with the student body circling around it chanting ‘fight, fight, fight’ only to see Brandon in the middle of the circle on top of another guy beating him black and blue just like my stepfather does to me.