Chapter 4

Chapter 4

 I looked over at Brandon thinking he had gone insane. Why in the world would he want us to get married? We had just started talking today and it wasn’t even in the direction of romance. I tried to pull out of his hold, but he just gripped my shirt to keep me in place as if he knew I wasn’t going to like this idea.

The lady looked over at us with shock written across her face, her eyes squinted at the way Brandon was keeping me in place. The way she had taken in my bruised face and now this, I’m sure she was thinking that I was being forced into marrying him. When I had agreed to go along with his plan, I didn’t know this was what he had intended, so in a way I was being forced.

“I’ll go get the paperwork,” she said, eyeing me one last time, pushing her chair back and walked into a room to the left side of us. 

“Brandon, this is crazy. Let’s get out of here,” I said when he finally let go. I turned to walk out the door we had just walked through, only to have him grip my upper arm to keep me in place.

“No, Kami. This is the only solution I can think of right now. I know this isn’t the smartest idea, but we can figure all this out later on tonight,” he told me in a stern voice.

I looked back over at the room that the lady had walked in. “Brandon, I’m sure that the lady thinks you are the one who put this bruise on my face,” I said, pointing to the room as I looked into his brown eyes. “Let’s go before she calls the cops and gets you thrown in jail for something you didn’t do.”

“He didn’t do that to you, dear?” I heard the lady ask, coming back out with paperwork in hand. I shook my head looking down now. “Can I ask who did?”

“That doesn’t matter. I’m keeping her away from them now,” Brandon answered for me. “So what kind of infomation do you need from us?”

“Well, first I’m going to need your identification cards,” she said, standing behind the desk now. Brandon went and pulled out his wallet from his back pocket, then went to his other pocket, pulling out mine, that he had grab before leaving my room and handing it to me. We handed over our cards to her as she places a clipboard with paperwork for us to fill out on the desk. “I’ll go make copies of this so we can go file for your marriage certificate. When was it you like to get married?”

It wasn’t hard to miss the unsettledness about us getting married in her voice. Then with the way she kept her eyes on Brandon, it seemed she was still unsure if he was the reason I have the bruise on my face.

“Today, please,” Brandon answered, holding my hand to keep me in my spot next to him. With me rocking back and forth as they spoke, I must have given off how nervous I was about this marriage thing he had come up with.

The lady went bug-eyed at how soon he wanted us to be married. She shook her head, perhaps to shake the shocked feeling as she took in this information. “I’m sorry, son, but the law states you have to wait seventy-two hours before you get married after filing for your marriage certificate.”

“Isn’t there a way to bypass the system?” Brandon asked with annoyance behind his voice. With the way he was gripping my hand, I could tell he was trying to control his anger. “I know a couple who came here about sixteen years ago who got married the same day.”

“There is a way, but it’s illegal,” the lady said, looking around the empty room. “We could hold a wedding ceremony for you today, but indicate that the date is this Saturday. We will just send in for your marriage certificate and then have you come back to pick it up and sign, but you must not tell anyone about this.”