Chapter 5

Chapter 5

 Pulling up to Brandon house, I could feel my nerves start working against me. How were his parents going to take us getting married when we barely knew one another? The only thing we did know about each other was just the things that happened in school. Besides the fact that Brandon knew about me being abused and my plans after graduation, we were still strangers to one another. This just convinced me that this marriage wasn't that great of an idea.   

“Brandon, I can’t do this,” I told him as we pulled up his semicircular driveway. I took in a deep breath, looking out my window at the two-story white house in front of me.

I saw the step that led to the front door with pillars where the porch began. Along the top level above the door stood a balcony where I could make out flowers growing along the panels. The house was twice as large as the house I grow up in.

“Kami, there’s no need to be scared. I understand this is all shocking, but just think that this will all be over in a few months,” he said, turning the car off and opening his door. “Now come on, let’s go talk to my parents. I’m sure once they meet you, they will love you. There’s nothing to worry about. Come on.” I didn't want to get out of the car and make this more real than it already was.

When my side door opened and I turned to look up Brandon, who was looking at me with an annoyed expression. “Kami, come on, get out of the car.”

I was too nervous to get out though and deal with telling someone else about my troublesome past. I wasn’t sure how they would take it. The only thing I could think was they would kick us out, or kick me out.

“Can’t we rethink this through? Maybe it’s best if we get a divorce and we think of something else,” I tried to reason. “Maybe I can stay somewhere else hidden from my family, till graduation.”

“No, Kami. I want to be able to keep an eye on you to know that you’re safe.” He motioned, “Now get out of the car or I’m going to throw you over my shoulder and carry you in.”

I was feeling too anxious to get out of the car. This day had more drama in it than I ever image could happen in one day. I should have known when Brandon walked up to me this morning that it was going to be absurd crazy kind of day.

It occurred that trouble followed this boy around and cursed whomever he was with. Now here I was sitting in his car in front of his house, about to tell his parents that we had gotten married, not sure how they were going to take it.

I was so lost in my own thoughts that when Brandon leaned over me and unbuckled my seatbelt, I didn't have time to react till he was pulling me out of the car and throwing me over his shoulder as he kicked the car door shut. “We don’t have all day, Kami. The sooner we get this done, the better things will be.”

When he had picked me up and threw me over his shoulder like a sack of potato, it made my side burn. If it hadn't been for the sting going down my side as he walked to the door, I would have totally forgotten about the bruises that were on my side.

I didn't want Brandon to think he was hurting me, so I bit my lip to wait for the pain to pass and focused more on the matter of telling his parents about this plan of his.    

“Brandon, put me down!” I yelled, slamming my hands against his back. I don’t know what he was intend on telling his parents, but I was becoming more and more uncomfortable the closer he walked us to the front door. 

“If I do, will you walk to the front door like a normal person?” he asked as I saw the steps start to appear under my head. The further he walked up the steps, the darker it got, informing me that we were getting closer to the front door.