Chapter 3

Chapter 3

 How did he get here?

How did he know where to find me?

Those questions went through my head as I opened my eyes to see Brandon standing in my bedroom doorway with a displeased looked on his face. I watched as his hand clenched and unclenched, taking in what he was seeing.

“I think you need to remove yourself from Kami now before I do it for you.” His voice echoed through the room. With the way he was eyeing my stepfather, I was worried that something bad was about to happen, leading to more trouble for the both of us. I knew Brandon takes on teenagers, but I was unsure about his being about to defeat my step-father.  

Seeing Brandon in the doorway, my step-father sat up on his knees. As he sized up Brandon, I watched him cock his eyebrow at the younger man.

“So you must be the little boy toy she’s been messing around with today. Well, let’s just see how good she really is for you,” he warned, returning his attention to me and realigning himself.

He tried to push, but I used what energy I had to fight him off. I was weak, but my thrashing about was making it difficult for him to go with his horrible plan. I closed my eyes, thinking this was it, that my stepfather was going to take away my innocence. And what would happen to me? There would be nothing left. Just a shell emptier than I already was.

But suddenly, the weight on top of me was gone.

I could hear some grunting coming from the side of my bed. I opened my eyes and turned my head to the side to see Brandon on top of my stepfather throwing punches to his face. I watched my stepfather try to throw a punch in, but Brandon ducked it and swung to hit him again.

Brandon kept throwing one punch after another, telling my stepfather what a sick bastard he was, while my stepfather was yelling at Brandon and was saying ‘how he was going to regret interfering.’

After what felt like forever, the room fell silent. I closed my eyes, wishing the world around me would disappear. I was more ashamed of myself than ever before. I didn’t want Brandon to see me so weak. All I’ve done was fight him off today, but I hadn’t been able to fight off my stepfather. I wished I had put up more of a fight before being tied to this bed and being more exposed than I’ve been in my life. Then maybe Brandon wouldn’t have witnessed what he did.

I yelled when I felt someone at one of my feet. “Shhh, Kami, it’s me. Don’t worry, I’m getting you out of here,” I heard Brandon say as he untied the cord and went to free the other foot. I opened my eyes and saw him standing at the foot of my bed looking down at my exposed body. I turned my gaze away from him, not wanting to see the pity in his eyes. I closed my eyes, wishing that today had never happened. That Brandon never walked up to me at school and was now saving me from being raped.

When I felt my hand being untied, I opened my eyes. I still didn’t want to face Brandon so I leaned my body away from him as I untied my other hand. As I looked down, I saw my step-father unconscious and lying on the floor. I watched as his chest moved up and down slightly, informing me that he was still alive.

There was blood dripping from his parted lips. I felt the rage started to swim inside me as I got off my bed and stood beside him.

Without thinking, I brought my foot back and kicked him in the side, just like he had done to me so many nights before. I cried out as I brought my foot back and kicked him again and again.

I had totally forgotten that Brandon was in the room till I felt his arms wrap around my waist, also locking my arms in place and pulling me away from my step-father.