Chapter 6

Chapter 6

 “Kami, wake up.”

I felt someone shaking me from the darkness that was swimming around me.

“Come on, open your eyes. It’s just a dream. Wake up.”

When I finally opened my eyes, escaping from the nightmare that was dark and wicked, I found Brandon sitting up over me. I felt the tears run down my cheeks and I turned my back to him, not wanting him to see the tears coming down my face.

“Hey, are you okay?” He asked from behind me, but not moving to come any closer.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just a nightmare. Sorry for waking you up,” I replied in a soft voice, not turning to look at him. 

I closed my eyes and thought how the dream felt so real. I had been in the perfect white room with an aura of peace when a dark cloud swirled around me. I ran to try to escape, but it was faster as it sucked me into darkness. I became defenseless in the blackness, being unaware of what could be lurking in the cloud. That's when I started panicking and was awakened.

I never remembered having any nightmare or dream before tonight. When I normally slept at night, I had been blacked out from being beaten. I don’t even recall the last time I even dreamed. Was this my punishment now, having nightmares, so that I’d be too scared to close my eyes? 

How can I stay strong and get past this point in my life if I’m too scared to go to sleep? Even Brandon wouldn’t be able to save me from the demons that plagued my dreams now. This dilemma I must fight on my own. I have been trying to prove to myself that I didn’t need anyone in my life before Brandon showed up. The one thing I was certain of was that in a few short months I’d be out on my own with no Brandon in sight. I just hoped this taught me how to be on my own and not rely on someone else for help.

“Kami, don’t do this. You’re shutting me out and hiding again,” he said after some time. “You said you wouldn’t hide from me anymore.”

Wiping the tears off my face, I turned to face him and found that he was still sitting there looking at me. With the darkness in the room, it was hard to make out his facial expression, and this made it easier to talk to him.

“It was just a nightmare, Brandon. There’s nothing to talk about. It’s not like you can protect me from them.”

“No, you’re right. I can’t protect you from the thoughts your mind creates, but I can show you the virtues in the world, so that maybe you can forget the cruelty,” he stated, pulling me up into his arms. “There’s no reason for you to have nightmares as long as I’m by your side.”

I lay my head on his chest, wishing I could always feel this protected, but I couldn’t ask that of him. This marriage was only going to last till the end of the school year, then we would be going our separate ways and I would be alone again.

Thinking that it would be best not to get too attached, I pulled away from his hold and got out of the bed to put some space between us. “Brandon, that’s nice and all, but we know where this is going. When school’s over, we’ll be getting a divorce and going our individual ways. Maybe it will be best if we try to put some space between us and not get so devoted to one another.” 

I watched as Brandon gets up from the bed and walk over to me, only for me to take a step back which made him stop. “Have you forgotten we’re married? It’s too late not to devoted to one another, we’re bonded together now. Yes, I agreed to this till the end of the school year, but you never know what could happen after that. For all you know we could still be friends or even go to the same college.”