Chapter 26

After she had run from the hospital she wasn't sure where to go. She had packed up her most vital things from the Jonas house before anyone could come after her. She knew she couldn't go see any of her brothers after everything she had said. Her mother was a no go as well. She had briefly thought about Selena's place, but knew her friend would want answers. So somehow she had ended up at the one place she had never imagined. David's home.

"Dinner's ready!" David called out from downstairs. Amelia smiled. They traded off cooking for one another each night. There were moments when it felt almost like they had never broken up. Once she made it downstairs she raced to the dining table. David smiled at her from his seat. "How was your day today?"

"Exciting as always. I sat around the house and did nothing," she replied.

"You wouldn't be stuck in the house if you stopped insisting on hiding yourself."

“I’m not ready David. Besides, they could care less about where I am or what I’m doing right now. They’re starting another tour now,” she said with a glare.

“So you have been following your brothers in the news.”

“Just online postings.” He watched her curiously. “What? I can’t help but worry about them. They’re my little brothers. I can’t believe Nick is still dating Nicole.”

“Selena and Joe are dating now. They haven’t told a lot of people though.”

“I take it Selena told you about it because she knows you would tell me?” He nodded. Suddenly a frightening thought hit her. “She doesn’t know I’m staying here does she?”

“No,” David sighed. “I promised you that I wouldn’t tell anyone where you are. I think she suspects something though.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t appear very broken up about the fact that my ex-girlfriend, who I’m still in love with, has disappeared from the face of the Earth. If she hasn’t figured out you’re staying here then she knows I might have an inkling as to where you are.”

“I hope she doesn’t say anything to my brothers.” David sighed and then pulled her from the table by her arm into the living room. “David? What’s going on? What’s wrong?”

“Did you see any of the footage from your brothers’ concert last night?” She shook her head no. “Then there’s something you need to watch.” He turned on the TV to a channel showing entertainment news. Amelia gasped as the video from her brothers’ concert aired. They wrote a song for her? She saw the hurt and confusion in each of her brothers’ eyes. They really missed her. She had kept herself in a bubble sure that they would just forget about the sister that popped into their lives for a little over two months.

“I’m such an idiot.”

“I thought you would say that,” David said pulling her into his arms. She relaxed into his warm embrace. During the entirety of her stay here David had kept his distance. He had flat out told her that she needed to get herself straight before they entered into a relationship physical or otherwise. She knew what he wanted, but to do that she had to tell the truth.

“I’m so sorry,” she said crying into his shirt.

“Amelia, I love you. I think I will always love you. It’s like you have some kind of insane hold on me.” She chuckled into his chest. “I know there’s something you haven’t told me. What happened all those years ago? Why did you leave me?”

“Promise me that you’ll help me talk to my brothers?” she asked pulling away and looking up at him with tear filled eyes.

“I promise that I will always be by your side,” David said wiping her tears away.

“Thanks. I’m hoping that promise will still hold after you hear what I have to say.” Amelia tried but was unable to hold her tears in.

“Amelia? What’s going on? Tell me.”

“It’s all my fault. I’m so sorry. I was so scared.” David pulled her close again as she sobbed into his chest. He waited patiently for her to pull herself together.

“What happened Amelia?”

“I didn’t mean to do it. I was so desperate for a way out. I didn’t mean to kill her,” she sobbed.

[AN: Well, that went south pretty quickly. When did I become this dark?]