Chapter 35

Amelia pushed past Adam as she entered her father’s house. Adam followed blocking her way to Chris’ bedroom. She sighed in annoyance at his protective instinct.

“I need to see him Adam. He and I need to finally talk about everything. Aren’t you tired of just pretending that everything is okay?” she asked looking straight into her older brother’s eyes.

“I guess I owe you that,” he said dropping his arms and moving aside. She made it halfway up the stairs before she stopped and turned back around.

“Thank you. For everything. Molly has a great father and mother because of you and Eve.” Adam smiled at her.

“She has a pretty great aunt as well.” Amelia smiled and continued up the stairs entering Chris’ bedroom. She found him sitting up in a small chair in the corner looking through a small book.

“So,” Amelia started, “What are you looking at?”

“The old family photo album. You were a pretty cute kid,” Chris replied looking up. Amelia looked at the eyes she had always thought matched hers. She knew in the eyes of genetics he would never hold the title, but in her eyes he would always be her dad.

“If I was so cute then why did you leave? Why did you separate yourself from me?”

“Because I’m a selfish bastard who thought you could do better than me. When I first found out your mom was pregnant with another man’s child I was angry. I was ready to let the Jonas family adopt you. Then your mom gave birth to you and suddenly everything changed. I couldn’t give you up. I know we aren’t blood-related, but in my eyes you were my daughter. So we took you and ran.” Amelia nodded for him to continue.

“I remember one day you fell and scraped your knee while you were playing. Your mom went out to help you, but you pushed her away because you wanted your da—because you wanted me. I kissed it and gave you a band-aid. You smiled at me and said ‘thank you daddy.’ I knew then just how awful I had been to a man who didn’t deserve it. I had stolen his chance to be a daddy because I took what was rightfully his. I took you.”

“So that’s why we left Texas?”

“Yes. I thought if we went back he could find you again. I didn’t want you to choose me over him so I distanced myself. Tried to make myself less appealing. Then you tried to end it all, and I came back to take care of you. I made your mother promise to introduce you to your dad before I left. I don’t know why she took so long to bring you to him. Maybe her selfish side came out, and she didn’t want to share you.”

“Dad.”

“No. I’d like to be your father, but someone else already holds that card,” he said smiling as he brushed a loose stand of hair off her face.

“He may be my father, but you’ll always be my dad,” she said leaning in to kiss his cheek.

“Are you sure Paul will be okay with that?”

“He and I talked about it. It’s too late for him to really be a dad to me. He and I are getting to know one another…as adults. I know he’s there for me if I ever need him, and he knows the same.”

“I guess that makes sense. Whenever you’re around I can’t help but picture the little girl with curly brown hair who always asked me for piggy back rides.” Amelia smiled at him recalling her younger days.

“Do you remember the time you showed me how to crack an egg?”

“And when I turned my back you had put all of the shells in because you wanted the pancakes to be crunchy?”

“They were crunchy,” she giggled.

“Your brothers told me that you’re in love with David. When are you going to tell him?”

“I’m afraid that I destroyed any chance I have with him. It doesn’t matter how I feel anymore. He wants nothing to do with me.”

“You assumed that I wanted nothing to do with you right?” She nodded. “Well, I think it’s a safe bet that you might be wrong about this too.”

“What if he says no?”

“The point of all of this is for you to be honest with yourself. If he says no at least you’ll know that you were honest. But I don’t think he’s going to turn you away.”

“And how do you know that? Are you psychic now?”

“Honey, I’ve seen the way that boy looks at you. He loves you.” Amelia silently prayed that her dad was right.

[AN: The ending to this has gotten sappier than I meant for it to be. :( ]