Chapter 34

Amelia smiled at her brothers as she filled the dishwasher after dinner. Nick and Joe were currently fighting with Kevin and Frankie who had eaten not only their dinners but their desserts as well. If the boys hadn’t been so “busy” with their girlfriends Kevin and Frankie wouldn’t have had ample time to finish Nick and Joe’s meals.

“How long do you think it will take Nick and Joe to realize that they can just take the girls out to a restaurant for dinner?” Dani asked handing Amelia a rinsed dish for the dishwasher.

“Well if I know Selena it should only be a matter of seconds before—“ Amelia said breaking off as Selena and Nicole marched in.

“Nick, you and Joe need to take us out to eat. We are starving!” Selena said in a whine.

“Yeah Joe, take us out to dinner,” Nicole said in an even higher pitch.

“I think they might actually annoy me more now that they are getting along,” Dani said. Amelia erupted in a fit of giggles causing everyone in the dining room to look at her in confusion.

“What’s so funny?” Selena asked.

“Yeah, what’s so funny?” Nicole asked mimicking Selena’s stance with her hands on her hips. Dani soon joined in with Amelia’s uproarious laughter. The two fell to the floor leaving everyone else confused.

“Uh, what’s going on here?” Paul said entering the kitchen. “Amelia are you okay?” It took the entrance of her father to silence her laughter. Dani remained on the floor guffawing lightly. Amelia stood nervously in front of her father unsure of what to say.

“Um, hi….Paul,” she said still uncomfortable calling him dad. She saw the disappointment in his face as she used his first name. She had only managed to call him dad a few times, and it still felt off to her. He had been nothing but nice to her, but she was unable to refer to him as her father.

“Can we talk Amelia? Just the two of us?” Paul asked gesturing towards his study. She nodded and followed him taking a seat on the chair in front of his desk. “I can tell you are uncomfortable calling me dad.”

“It’s not that I don’t want to,” she protested. He waved a hand indicating she should be quiet.

“I understand. You’ve known about me less than a year. You’re a grown woman. I can’t just expect you to call me dad. Another man was responsible for raising you.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize. You weren’t responsible for any of it. I’m actually glad that you were raised by Chris.”

“You are?”

“He loves you. That whole family loves you so much. They protected you and took care of you. If it wasn’t for them you might not be here with me today. I owe that man a lot for what he has done.” Paul walked to where she sat and kissed her on the top of her head. “I will always be your father, but it’s okay if Chris is still your dad.” Amelia smiled where she sat as her father walked out of the den. “Oh Amelia?”

“Yeah?” she asked turning to face his departing figure.

“The label can’t wait anymore. You’re performing next week at your brothers’ concert. No excuses.” Amelia groaned.

“You’re acting so much like my father right now.” He chuckled as he left. Amelia didn’t have to see him to know he was smiling wide as he walked away.

[AN: We’re almost to the end! I am sad and excited all at once…]