Chapter 17

Nick sat on the couch texting David. When he had agreed to help him out Nick had hoped that David would tell him just what had happened all those years ago. David had refused. He only wanted Nick to help him get close to Amelia and nothing more. Nick knew if he could just hear the story he could help them find each other again. Why wouldn’t they tell him?

“We need to talk,” Kevin said as he entered the room. Nick looked up as Kevin and Joe sat on either side of him on the couch.

“I don’t want to talk if this is going to be about Amelia and David,” Nick replied as he played with his phone. Kevin snatched the phone from his hand. “Give me back the phone Kevin.”

“Not until we talk. You have to stop. Stop pushing David and Amelia together. She doesn’t want him.”

“He wouldn’t affect her this much if she didn’t still love him.”

“Look,” Joe said, “You may be the sensitive one, but you need to cut the crap. You’re just upsetting her.”

“She’ll get over it.”

“And what if she doesn’t? What if she cuts all ties to us because we wouldn’t leave it alone? We just got our sister and you want to push her away?” Nick and Kevin watched as Joe’s eyes filled with tears.

“Aren’t you supposed to be the goofy one?” Joe blinked away the wetness and glared at his little brother. “You need to lighten up Joseph.”

“Don’t call me Joseph!”

“Stop it. Both of you,” Kevin said calming them down. “Nick, even if he wants to David isn’t available for a relationship. I know it’s a publicity thing, but he’s dating Nicole.”

“Not anymore,” Nick replied standing up in front of the couch. He looked around for an exit.

“Oh,” Kevin said confused. “Did they end it?” Nick nodded looking at his brothers. He soon regretted doing so when he saw the happy expression on Joe’s face.

“David told her he couldn’t date someone when he was still in love with Amelia. He did the right thing.”

“Even so you can’t force them to be together,” Joe said.

“He loves her. He wants to be with her, and he’s going after her. I’m not going to stop him and neither are you.”

“We will if it means protecting her,” Kevin snapped.

“She’s been completely vague about everything. We don’t even know why they broke up. Why is everything such a big secret? What is she hiding?”

“That’s not our business,” Joe said. “We should protect her no matter what is going on.”

“Joe, I know you spend a lot of time with Amelia, but has she told you about her past?” Joe nodded his head no. “We’re not protecting her. She’s protecting us. I need to go wash up for dinner.” Nick began to walk out of the room until Joe stopped him.

“Wait. Nicole isn’t dating David anymore right? So she’s single?” Joe asked.

“She’s dating someone new.” Joe looked at him hopefully. “It’s not for publicity this time.”

“Who?”

“She’s dating me,” Nick sighed.

[AN: Oh Nick. I want some votes in the comment section. Joe & Nicole? Or Nick & Nicole]