Chapter 12

Amelia nodded. She didn’t know why, but she felt comfortable sharing her past with Joe. “You first,” she said.

"There's not much to tell. I flirt with her and she flirts with Nick,” Joe complained.

"They are pretty close. But you don't really strike me as someone who's afraid to tell a girl how they feel."

"It's different with Nicole. She and Nick became so close after filming the show. There are all these rumors about her and Nick dating. She's only ever seen me as a costar. A friend. Every time I see her I just get tongue tied. I look like a babbling idiot.”

"You know what little bro? Love sucks. That's all there is to it." Amelia leaned against Joe's back enjoying the silence and camaraderie of the moment.

"So are you going to tell me what happened between you and David?" She paused and thought it over.

"This just stays between us okay?" Joe nodded without turning to face her. After a short moment Amelia began to speak."When I reconnected with Selena she was just starting out with her career. It was kind of surreal having a famous friend, but we did our best to keep things as normal as possible. One day I picked her up at the studio where they were filming. That's when I met David."

"You really dated David Henrie?"Joe asked.

"He was a different back then. I was a different person. I thought we were in love."

“What happened?"

"He got more and more famous. His agent started insisting he dump me for someone famous." She took a deep breath. "So we broke up."

“He dumped you?”

“Um….yeah,” Amelia said nervously. She hated lying to Joe, but she wasn’t ready to share her entire past with him. She didn’t want to destroy the bond she and Joe had just formed.

"I could beat him up for you."

"Don't bother. Adam offered the same thing. It won't fix things."

"But it will make me feel better."

"What happened to the 'you're not our sister' guy I first met?"

"We're united in heartbreak now. We both want someone we can't have."

"I don't want David." She scoffed.

"Yeah. Sure. And I just see Nicole as a friend." Joe watched Amelia turn and look out the window of the room. He knew she hadn’t told him everything. He wanted to hate her so much, but knew that he couldn’t. When she had run from the café crying something inside him just broke. She was hurting just like he was. He stood up and began to leave the room, but was stopped by her voice.

“Hey Joe?”

“Yeah?”

“Maybe I can help you. With Nicole?” Joe  smiled as she turned around to face him. “I can show her what she’s missing with you.”

“You’re not just doing this in order to break her and David up?” Amelia refused to meet his gaze.

“Of course not. I’m just helping out my little brother.” Joe turned to leave again.

“I never really thought you were trying to use us, you know? I was just angry. I knew from the beginning that you were telling the truth.”

“How did you know?”

“Because sis, you suck at lying,” he said as he left.

[AN: So Joe knows that she isn’t telling the whole truth about David! Still need a good title idea for this story.]