Chapter 10

“God, I was just kidding all those times I said you looked like a Jonas. Are you really their sister?” Selena asked.

“That has yet to be determined,” Joe scoffed. Amelia smacked him in the arm indicating he should shut up.

“Yeah. It was kind of a surprise to me as well,” Amelia replied. She looked around nervously, but it appeared that Selena had come here alone.

“So is anyone going to tell us how you two know each other?” Nick asked coming up to the table with Nicole next to him. “I’m going to be honest. It’s a little disturbing to know my sister is friends with one of my exes.”

“Don’t worry Nicky! You and Selena are good friends now. I think it’s great that they know one another,” Nicole happily exclaimed. Amelia watched her old friend turn an evil eye on Nicole. Selena didn’t appear to be very happy with the appearance of Nicole. [AN: I’m not trying to make Nicole a ditz. Really!]

“Well, when I moved away with my---um, folks, we lived in Texas for several years. Once I moved back she looked me up and we hang out every now and then,” Amelia said.

“Then how come we haven’t met you before all of this?” Kevin asked.

“That’s because we haven’t really hung out since,” Selena hesitated. “Since that one time. It’s great to see you again Amelia.” Both of the girls began to chatter inanely hoping that no one would ask what really ended their friendship years ago. Selena enjoyed finally catching up with her friend. She understood why Amelia ran away all those years ago. Selena was just a reminder of everything she had gone through. Everything she had lost.

“So Nicole, are you dating Nick or something?” Amelia asked. Nicole managed to pull herself away from Nick’s side to answer Amelia’s question.

“Nick and I are just friends. Besides, I’m in one of those publicity relationships right now,” Nicole replied.

“Oh really? With who?”

“He was supposed to be here hours ago. Oh there he is!” Nicole called out waving someone over. Amelia could feel his presence before he stepped from the shadows. Looking at Selena’s horrified face confirmed just what she feared. It was him.

“I think we should go home now.”

“Great idea,” Selena said. “How did you get here?”

“Nick drove. Can we go home now Nick?”

“Why now? Stay and have some fun,” Nick said watching her in confusion.

“I’ll give you a ride,” Selena said pulling her away from the table. The man who had been approaching Nicole almost ran into them as they ran past.

“Amelia?” he asked as they shot past him. He continued over to Nicole and the crowd at the table. “Was that Amelia?” Surprisingly Joe was the first to speak up.

“Just how do you know my sister Henrie?” Joe asked. No one bothered to point out that Joe had actually acknowledged Amelia as his sister for the first time. They were too focused on David Henrie staring at the exit to the café.

“We dated once,” David replied.

“Why do I think there is more to that story?” Joe asked.

“It’s none of your business.”

“It is when she leaves here looking so scared. And it’s definitely my business when she leaves somewhere crying after only seeing you. Stay away from my sister Henrie. Got it?” David nodded. “I’m done here. I need to go check on Amelia.” Joe marched out of the café.

“David what’s going on?” Nicole asked. David ignored her as he fingered the leather necklace he wore. She was back. But would she give him a chance to fix things?

[AN: Suddenly Joe gives a damn. Hmmmm….]