Chapter 30

“You adopted my daughter?!” David roared walking over to Adam. “What gave you that right? I never gave you my permission.”

“They didn’t know David,” Amelia said. “They didn’t know she was yours. You can’t be upset with them for not knowing.” David sighed realizing that she was right. Maybe if they had known he would have gotten the chance to know his daughter.

“Are you mad?” Adam asked looking over at his sister.

“No. You have given her a great life. She even has a big sister. I just need a little bit to get used to all of this.”

“She has a wonderful Aunt too,” Adam said with a wide smile.

“So does this mean you are officially coming out of hiding?” Nick asked. His sister looked so much lighter now that she had finally let go of all of her secrets. Amelia nodded happily before being engulfed in a strong hug from Joe.

“Lia, please remember that you are never alone,” Joe whispered into her ear. “Even when you feel like you are know that I am always here for you, okay?” He pulled out of the embrace and wiped a tear from her face. Everyone engulfed her in a group hug, and she giggled at the joy that jumped into her heart. The guilt she felt for losing her daughter evaporated as she held her family close. Family. It felt so good to know that she finally had a real family. It was a little fragmented, but she knew they would always be there for her. As they all pulled away she watched them excitedly chatter about the future. She finally noticed David watching from over by the door.

“Where are you going?” she asked walking over to him. He released his grip on the doorknob before turning to address her.

“Go back and spend time with your family Amelia. I don’t belong here,” David said opening the door.

“I want you to be a part of my family. Don’t you want to be with me?”

“It’s not that honey. I just need some time okay? This is all a lot to take in.” She knew it was a lot to deal with, but she had always envisioned him standing beside her even after they broke up. She wanted him there with her always. Her family wasn’t complete without him.

“Are you coming back?” she asked. He refused to look at her.

“I need to go,” he said before walking out the door. Amelia stood there crying while watching the door. The love of her life had just left her and might never come back. She felt an arm pull her into a familiar side.

“He’s gone,” she said looking up at Kevin.

“He’ll be back,” Kevin said.

“You can’t know that,” she sniffed. He leaned in and kissed the top of her head.

“Tell you what, if I’m wrong then you can beat me up, okay?” She snickered at her brother. The ache in her heart still echoed despite the warmth she felt at having her family close by.

“I guess little brothers are good for something after all.” Kevin smiled down at her before pulling her into another tight hug. “I really hope you aren’t wrong Kevvy.”

“Me too,” he said leading her back to their family.

[AN: Time to wrap up some other ends before we figure out the whole David & Amelia thing.]