Chapter 21

They had sat at the small diner table eating their meals in complete silence. Danielle couldn’t take the silence any longer. She and Kevin had agreed last night to do their best to put an end to his brothers’ stupid plans.

“So Nick and Nicole are a couple? And Joe and Selena are dating as well?” Both couples nodded at her nervously. “Not how I always pictured it, but I guess you can’t predict what love will do,” Dani said watching the alarm in all of their eyes.

“What do you mean this isn’t how you pictured it honey?” Kevin asked playing right along. He really enjoyed torturing his brothers.

“Well Kev, I always thought it would be the other way around. But I guess I was wrong. So are all of you in love?” Joe and Nick started to answer before Kevin cut them off.

“You can’t just believe what they tell you. They have to show you.”

“Show me how?”

“If they are really in love they should have no problem kissing,” Kevin said with a wicked chuckle. Both couples looked at one another in alarm.

“I have no problem with that,” Joe said confidently. Kevin and Dani snickered. Joe always did have the most bravado. Nick’s face turned red, but he said nothing.

“Nick and I kiss all the time,” Nicole said eyeing Joe. Dani turned her head into Kevin’s shoulder to muffle her laughter. It appeared that quiet Nick had picked up a loud liability for a girlfriend. “We have no problem kissing in front of anyone!” Kevin leaned his head into Dani’s hair to muffle his own laughter. [AN: They are having too much fun with this.]

“Then kiss him,” Selena said joining into the argument. Nick and Selena glared at one another until Nicole grabbed his head and kissed him hard. What should have been an awkward kiss between friends took on a sensual undertone. It was a long wait until they broke apart. When Nicole let him go Joe grabbed Selena intending to kiss her, but she pulled away and stood from her chair. “No Joe. I can’t do this. I’m sorry.” She ran from the diner.

“What did you do to her?” Nick asked venom lacing his voice. Joe glared back at his brother.

“I didn’t do anything to her,” Joe said looking over at a subdued Nicole. Joe wasn’t the reason Selena had fled. Kevin and Dani exchanged worried glances wondering just how they had gotten off track. Nick sighed and ran a hand through his unruly curls. What had just happened here? He loved Selena. So just when had his fake relationship with Nicole turned all too real?

[AN: Next chapter is going to include a small time jump. So vote now….Nick & Nicole or Nick & Selena?]