45: Sounds a lot like insecurity to me

“So, she still hasn’t come out?” Shay questioned between laughs.

“Of course not,” Beck answered, all the while battling against her own laughter – and failing miserably by the way. “She’s locked herself in her room, saying something about how her life is ruined.”

If anything, that just left us doubling over with mirth. 

Hearing Beck’s story, I could only imagine how Anna must have looked.

Ha, just kidding. Beck, being the sweet sister she was, made sure to take a lot of pictures. And believe me, we sure enjoyed looking at each one – something which I might have felt bad about if the person involved wasn’t Anna. 

Yeah, so in lieu of her upcoming pageant, Anna had gotten this skincare product recommended to her by god knows who. It was supposed to have some wonder effect which would make her ‘flawless face glow even brighter.’ Her words, not mine.

The rest of us though, couldn’t help thinking how the whole thing just had ‘scam’ written all over it – something we voiced to Anna.

But trust her to wave it off with a dismissive laugh, saying something about ‘leaving things to the experts.’ Which of course meant herself. Because apparently, we weren’t experienced enough to understand how ‘these beauty-related things work.’ 

You know, just typical Anna.

Well, her flawless face didn't achieve the glow she wanted, but it definitely did grow – so much so, that it became a bloated raspberry. Long story short, the product was a fake. So now, Anna was freaking out, crying in her room about how her life was ruined.

And just in case you’re wondering, it wasn’t a permanent damage. The dermatologist said her bloated face would return to normal in two days tops. But well, what was Anna without the drama?

As much as I’d have liked to laugh over Anna’s ordeal for a while longer, the bubbly sounds were soon to meet an abrupt end owing to the appearance of a particular member of the female species in front of me – her lips set in a tight line.

“Can we talk?”

To say I was surprised, would be an understatement. Since when did we become the talking duo? Hence, my curiosity, which led to me saying, “yeah, sure.”

My friends excused themselves soon after, but not before Sunny whispered something to me about how I had the divine right to be the mean ex-girlfriend, leaving me to chuckle. 

Ria, however, didn’t seem to be in the most humorous mood. This was the first time she wasn’t with her oh-so-sweet tight-lipped smile.

And I spoke too soon.

Now, she’d gotten it on, it’s length increasing by a few inches, almost making her seem like the Joker. Ok, maybe not. But that’s how I chose to see it.

“So, I heard you slept at Hawk’s last night.”

Wait, what? Of all the things I thought she’d want to talk about, this was by far the most unexpected. She came here looking all upset, like she just lost her pet unicorn, only to end up telling me something I already knew?

Talk about weird.

“Well, you heard right,” I answered blithely.

She however, seemed thrilled at my response. So thrilled that her words seemed to come out through gritted teeth when she said, “I see.” 

“I’m glad you do. Because I for one, can’t see the sense in your coming all the way here to tell me something we both already know. Except of course, you have something else to say,” I mused, throwing in an oh-so-sweet smile.