59: I don't want to run anymore

***1 month ago****

.

.

.

.

.

“I like Jake.”

“Yeah, I kind of figured that out when you called him hot for like the thousandth time,” he quipped.

“But you can’t blame me. He really is hot,” I defended between laughs, to which he made a face – however it wasn’t long before he betrayed a chuckle as well.

“Although, I don’t just like him because of that,” I piped up in the mirthful decline. “I’ve never seen a male lead so sure of what he has with the girl, like Jake is. He’s not that typical possessive alpha male, or that cheesy guy who is always reading off lines from Pinterest.”

“I feel attacked,” Hawk fake gasped.

“Oh, you know what I mean,” I remarked, chortling softly. “He’s just a guy who knows what he feels and believes in it without ever being swayed. Despite his friends’ taunting that he’d changed, or even when Kiera doubted him and their relationship, he never gave up on what they had. And I don’t know, I just think it’s pretty amazing – not many of us are able to love like that, you know?”

“Wow!” Sure enough, I traced that to be met with a smiling Hawk.

I felt my lips curl into a small smile as well as I stared puzzled back at him. “What?”

“It's just you.”

“Me?” I echoed, voice coming out in a mix of surprise and confusion.

“Yeah. Do you know what I think?” When I shook my head in the negative, he added, “I think that you're a romantic at heart.”

The laugh that slipped off my lips was instant. Me, a romantic? My whole deal with Hawk came about because of my total lack of romance. Seriously, romance and I were more incompatible than fire and ice. Hence, my asking, “SpongeBob, are you sure we are talking about the same person here?”

That earned a chuckle from him, but he still maintained his stance. “I know it might not seem like it, but it’s true though. You said that you don't know much about romance and how love works, but I don't think that's true. I think that you know a lot more about it than you let on, but there’s a part of you that doesn’t want to accept that.”

I fell silent at that, feeling his words tug at something within me whose existence I’d left unacknowledged. But to him, I said, “that’s crazy. Why would I not want to fall in love? Isn't that like every teenage girl's dream – to run off with Prince Charming into the sunset while riding on a unicorn?”

“Well, I can't argue with you on the unicorn thing. Come on, who hasn't thought of riding off on a unicorn?” He mused, staring dreamily into space as he spoke. Although, he was quick to make a hurried addition of: “I mean, most people, not me. Because I've definitely not thought about that – at all.”

Despite myself, I couldn’t help my amusement at his antics. But soon, I was returning to voicing my thoughts from earlier. “But really, why would I not want to fall in love?”

“I don't know, B,” he answered honestly. “Maybe there's something you've kept inside you, which is holding you back.”

“What does that even mean?”