31: Hello adulthood

“Alright, young lady. We need to agree on some things first.”

I nodded, wearing my best oh-so-obedient look. But Carla simply cocked an amused brow, not buying it one bit.

“So, best behavior, ok?”

“Ok.”

“No alcohol, ok?”

“Ok,” I answered dutifully.

“Kent has already arranged a lot of alcohol, hasn’t he?” She questioned, staring knowingly at me.

“Yes. But…owww!”

“I’m going to cut off Kent’s ears when I see him,” she remarked, half serious, half not.

“That’s fine with me. But why are you cutting off my ears instead?” I queried between exaggerated cries of pain.

“Well, you and Kent are partners in crime,” she answered matter-of-factly before finally letting go, and leaving me squinting in a show of pain as I nursed my now freed ear. But inside, I was struggling to bite back a smile as I watched Carla’s features crease in concern. 

“Does it still hurt?”

“Of course it does. I think you might have stabbed my ear with the hook of my earring or something.” 

That was a total lie. But Carla didn’t need to know that. I was enjoying making her feel guilty way too much.

“Oh, my poor baby, I didn’t mean to. Let me see.” She gestured for me to come closer, and I did, only to get whacked upside the head.

“Oww, Carla!” I whined, rubbing my head.

“Brooke!” She mimicked, grinning slyly. “Trying to deceive me, weren’t you? You should know that I’m aware of all your tricks by now, missy.”

I could only grin sheepishly in response. “Well,” I started. “Gosh, Carla Bear, you know me too well,” I admitted, laughing softly – something she soon joined in.

A moment later though, and she was saying, “I’ve given everyone the rest of the day off – just thought you might want to know.”

“That’s fine. And you know I trust whatever you decide, so you don’t need to explain anything to me,” I mused.

“I know,” she said, giving my forehead a small kiss. “Now, you enjoy your birthday, ok?”

I smiled in response, wanting to say something, but stopped when I caught sight of the approaching figure – his gaze fixed on just one person.

“Dear Miss Carla, are you ready to leave now?” Walter asked, looking like a valiant coachman ready to lead his mistress into her coach.

Carla replied with that same flustered sound she always used with him – which resembled something between a titter and a giggle. “Oh, Walter, you remembered?”

“Of course I did. How could I forget when it had to do with you, oh so benevolent Miss Carla? I've just been waiting for you to finish working so we could leave together as I promised,” he stated, looking quite pleased with himself – and from the looks of it, so did Carla.

I, however, couldn’t help thinking how Walter and Hawk’s parents could become good friends. On one hand was Hawk’s parents with the weirdest nicknames for each other, and on the other hand was Walter, with the weirdest endearments for Carla.

Now, though, I could only watch, amused, at their exchange.

“That’s so thoughtful of you, Walter,” Carla gushed.