43: You can't change how the heart really feels

I looked ahead, willing my feet to move forward. But like many times before, they proved unwilling to do so. Hence, my standing in the same spot for over a minute now. In the end, I drew out a dramatic sigh, turning to the boy beside me. “Do I really have to go in?”

“Did I really have to sneak out of the house? No. But I did that anyway. See?”

“Again, SpongeBob, we did not sneak out. We said ‘bye’ to your parents twice,” I remarked between chuckles. “And yeah, we also waved at them before getting in the car. See? Not a sneak out.”

“Well, that’s your version of the story. I’m sticking with mine. So, sneak out it is,” he sallied, raising one hand in the manner of one chanting a protest. 

“Remind me why I’m friends with a weirdo like you again?”

“Because…” He trailed off, pretending to think it over, only to say: “hey, that’s true! Why the hell are you friends with me? What is wrong with you?”

He made a whole show of staring disbelievingly at me, leaving me chortling at his dramatics, with him joining in soon after.

In the decline of the bubbly sounds however, his voice sliced through, assuming a more serious tone this time. “It’s going to be fine. Trust me.”

Despite myself, I nodded softly, donning a small smile in the face of his reassuring one. But even then, my insides were in a twist of nerves as my feet moved towards the office ahead.

I barely made it a few steps before I was turning to face Hawk, hand stretched out in a dramatic cry of: “don’t leave me, Cole!”

That earned a laugh from him. However, he was soon to outstretch his hand as well. “I don’t want to, Quinn,” he mused in response, assuming a ridiculous impersonation of a deep voice. 

“But I have to.” And with that he withdrew his hand, feigning hurt all the while. “Just remember that my heart will always be yours.”

And with that, he turned away, leaving me to call out an exaggerated: “Cole! You can’t leave with my heart.”

“Then take it back, because I can’t protect it anymore, Quinn.”

And that did it – we exploded into fits of laughter, totally ignoring the security guard who shot us weird looks. I bet he was probably wondering why two teenagers were choosing to reenact a scene from Love in Spring right across the boss’s office at this time of the night.

But of course, he couldn’t go telling the boss’s daughter that she seemed like a crazy person. So, when I caught his stare, he was quick to throw me a friendly smile.

“Gosh, that was a really corny scene now that I think about it,” Hawk admitted between laughs.

“Yeah, but Cole’s sexiness makes up for it.” 

He nodded his affirmation. “Totally.”

“Ok,” I started, after the mirthful sounds died down. I sucked in a small breath. “I’m going in.”

I felt Hawk give my hand an encouraging squeeze, and I couldn’t be more grateful for it –  something I hoped reflected in the smile I threw at him before heading into my dad’s office. 

You’d think anyone would have heard our voices through all of our dramatics from earlier, but not my dad. He valued concentration while working, hence, his office being soundproof.

Now, though, as the doors slid open for me, I let myself stop to watch him for a bit. He had his eyes glued to the documents in front of him, and although he still looked as suave as ever even with his shirt sleeves rolled up, his eyes betrayed a certain dimness as he flipped pages over.