40: Little redhead miss-goody-two-shoes

I puckered my lips, applying a thin coat of lipgloss, and smiling in satisfaction at the reflected result in my locker’s mirror.

And after I was done having one of those moments where I just kept my gaze on the mirror a little longer while going all: ‘damn, I’m gorgeous,’ I shut my locker, only to find myself staring at a very familiar set of gray eyes.

Needless to say, the grin that lit up my face was instant.

“Having one of your ‘damn, I’m gorgeous’ moments again?” He asked, a sly grin prominent on his face.

I, however, just gave a short laugh of disbelief, acting as though he just said the most ridiculous thing on earth. “What? No.” But in the face of his knowing stare, I drawled: “maybe.”

“You can’t prove anything,” I added in mock defiance, earning a laugh from him as he raised his hands in a show of  surrender, to which I betrayed a small laugh as well – feeling my insides grow warm.

“Cheer practice, huh?”

I used my eyes to gesture to my cheer uniform before staring back at him. “It gave me away, didn’t it?”

“That, and that you are carrying your extra large water bottle,” he mused, an amused glint in his eyes as he gestured to my blue water bottle which was peeking out of my bag.

“I’m beginning to feel bad for the girls already. Seeing how prepared you are, it’s obvious you’re going to work them till they nearly pass out,” he sallied.

“Just shut it,” I chirped between chuckles. “And hey, I also end up with a headache after practice as well, but of  course you never empathize with me.”

His reply came as a dramatic gasp. “What? I can’t believe you think that. You know I always empathize with you. I mean, you’ve never done a Star Wars marathon. You can’t even imagine how much it hurts me to know that you’ve lived all this time without having experienced the joy of a Star Wars marathon.”

Of course, that earned him a light shove, leaving him chortling. However, a moment later, he was adding, “but seriously though, be it a headache or whatever, you know I give ‘killer get better hugs’ which cure them all.”

“Oh, would you look at that? SpongeBob, don’t tell me you’re using cures as an excuse to score a hug from me.” I made sure to add air quotes when I said ‘cures,’ feigning disbelief as I stared at him.

“Maybe,” he sallied in response, leaving me chortling at his antics. And it wasn’t long before he was echoing the bubbly sounds alongside me. However, the wave of mirth was short-lived with the arrival of a particular someone.

Said someone, was now breaking into a chirpy: “hey, babe.”

Pfft. It’s not like I cared about whatever nickname she chose to use or anything. But as for her hands which had snaked themselves around him, I couldn’t quite say the same.

“Hey,” he answered, his features giving way to a smile. 

I, however, couldn’t help but cringe a little when I found my insides doing a small dance of: ‘yay she didn’t get a nickname.’

Yeah, my dating Jason wasn’t the only thing that’s changed around here; Hawk and…her, were now dating as well. And I was happy for them. So happy, that I responded with a super tight smile which neared a grimace when Ria turned to me, saying, “Oh, Brooke. Hey.”

Oh, Brooke? Oh please! She was trying to play the ‘I didn’t even notice you were here’ game with me. Which was a really stupid game to play when the person she had her pink, cute nails all over, was standing right next to me.