3: I share a name with SpongeBob's snail

My mind was still replaying the recent turn of events with Jason, when I heard a voice say, “that was pretty intense.”

Tracing the source, I was faced with a boy from my class who was sitting under the bleachers. I was pretty sure we'd had a few classes together, but what was his name again? Jordan? Keat? Miles? Hale?

Fine, I give up.

Besides, the fact that I didn't even know his name, proved he's not exactly popular. Like at all.

But at the moment, there were more important things to think about than his popularity ranking. And by that, I meant his just hearing my kind of sad break up.

“Excuse me? Did you just eavesdrop on my conversation?” I questioned, staring sharply at the boy in front of me with chestnut hair, gray eyes, and a face which was easy to forget.

Ok, maybe I was just being mean.

But no kidding, he had the face of your average high school guy you'd see down the hallway; not like Jason's looks which made half of the female population in school weak in the knees.

This guy looked like he'd not eaten in weeks, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case because for one, it was basically impossible to last that long without eating. And two, he was munching on a potato chip right now.

His white shirt hung loosely on his body, a huge difference from Jason's shirts which seemed like they could rip out of his body any second.

You know, thinking about it, maybe the reason why my relationship with other guys couldn't exceed the fourth day mark was because I always ended up comparing them to Jason, and they never matched up.

But my thoughts were soon pulled back to the present. 

“I never eavesdropped. I was here all along, but you just didn't notice. I even had my earphones on, but you guys were talking so loud, I bet the whole of China heard,” he answered with a small smile.

“Hahaha, very funny,” I remarked dryly, to which he chuckled.

This guy was sort of weird, but in a non-creepy way. Still, the words that slipped off my lips were: “so what? Let me guess, you had a front row in enjoying my breakup, and now you're thinking of Brooke's little sad love story, right?”

“No. Besides I know what sad’s like – that's not it. I'm the guy whose name is Hawk Moose. I mean, when you're named after a bird and a deer, the least a boy could hope for is a cool middle name. But that one's actually worse – Gary. So, it's actually Hawk Gary Moose. Do you know how it feels to wake up everyday and think: ‘jeez, why did my parents hate me so much? I share a name with SpongeBob's snail.’”

Halfway through his rant, I broke into fits of chortles. I knew I probably shouldn't be laughing, but I couldn't help it. Although, I wasn’t sure what made me laugh more – what he said, or the mock seriousness with which he said it.

I figured it was probably both.

“It's really some sad stuff,” he mused between laughs.

“Yeah, it kind of is,” I admitted when my laughter died down. But soon, I found myself adding, “so, do you always spend your lunchtime under the bleachers? Alone.”

Why was I even asking that?

“Hey, don't make it sound so bad. I have my earphones, my phone, some peace and quiet; that's pretty much the life of every American teenager.”

A soft chuckle broke through my lips at that. There was something about this Hawk guy that interested me. Guys like him were either too nervous around me to form coherent sentences, or simply just stared at me from afar, never saying anything.