39: I couldn't save you from the love sickness

'School, sweet school.'

Or maybe not.

I spotted Trina's face contort into a snarl before saying something to Mila, who being the loyal best friend she was, was quick to mirror Trina's expression. Of course, what followed was them sharing hushed whispers, all the while throwing 'discreet' piercing stares my way.

However, their whisper sessions were soon to meet an abrupt end when I neared them. No kidding, they could have passed for mutes given how quiet they became. It was quite amusing actually.

Now, though, I stopped to greet them with an overly chirpy: “hi, girls.” 

“Hey, Brooke,” they chorused, both their faces strained in a smile – Trina's especially. Despite her best efforts at keeping up the smiley face charade, her slightly clenched teeth betrayed her. Still, I knew for a fact that she'd rather suck it all up than to come out and say what was really on her mind. 

I guess that's what I found amusing – the hypocrisy of it all.

“But why did you guys stop talking?” I feigned concern as I stared between them. “Please, don't stop on my account.”

As expected, they turned shifty-eyed at that. Trina was the first to speak, tittering a little as she did. “What? No, we really weren't saying anything.”

“Yes, why would we be talking about you?” Mila hurriedly chimed in – a little too hurried actually.

“But I never said you were talking about me, or did I?” I questioned oh-so-casually, a smirk making its way to my lips as I watched their sheepish faces, with Trina's hand twisting into knots.

Thankfully, they didn't have to continue in their self-inflicted misery for much longer, as my voice soon sliced through in a chortle. “Why are you so tense? Relax, I was just kidding.”

What followed was awkward laughs from them, and from me, a knowing smile as I left them.

Another day, another drama. 

Talking about drama, I sized in on Beck standing a small distance away with Nina Keats, with the latter animatedly explaining something to her, face beaming all the while – a stark contrast to the seeming disinterest on Beck's face. 

Knowing her, she was probably this close to saying something to Nina that'd sap out all of that raging enthusiasm which she always carried with her.

Although, I doubted that even Beck in all her blunt monotone remarks, could bring down Nina's enthusiasm. Aside from Miss Green, Nina was the most enthusiastic person I knew. She was always so passionate about stuff – and by stuff, I meant her plays and musicals.

No surprise there, both Nina and Miss Green were a part of the drama club – with one as the teacher, and the other a student. And now, they'd managed to get Beck under their wing as well.

Beck, on her part, soon caught sight of me. And a second later, she was literally running over, with Nina calling out something after her, along the lines of: “we'll talk more later.” 

“Early cast catchup, huh?” I sallied when she reached me.

“Don't even get me started. If you see Nina gagged and stuffed in a closet, then just know I'm the one behind it.”

“Oh, come on, it can't be that bad.” She cocked a disbelieving brow at me in return, leaving me chuckling. “Ok, fine, Nina really does talk a lot when she's excited.”

“I know, right?” She echoed, betraying a chuckle despite herself. “But it's not just her though. This whole drama club thing is driving me nuts.”