27: I don't want to go further, B

“Oh my god,” Shay squealed. “That's so freaking awesome!”

“It's not all that,” I remarked in an attempt at playing it cool. But one look at Shay's face and all plans of playing it cool were discarded, leaving me squealing as well. “I know, right? god, I’m so excited, I think I might pass out.”

And believe me, even if I did pass out, I would still be as thrilled as I was now. I mean, can you blame me? My dad had gotten one of my favorite celebrity designers to design my prom dress, and to say I was ecstatic would be an understatement. I didn't know how the dress was going to be yet, but I was certain it was going to be absolutely stunning. Come on, it would be made by one of the state's best designers, it’s only natural that I expect nothing but the best.

Shay and I spent a few more minutes fangirling over my prom dress – you know, the way BFFs do. Seriously though, it's like an unspoken rule in the BFF code: ‘always be ready to squeal and fangirl with your best friend.’

Soon, however, we were caught up in talking about Shay’s plans for her hair. Hence, my asking, “would Aunt Leticia help you make your hair?”

“What?” She echoed, a tremor of horror in her voice. “Lord, no. I don’t have a wish to lose my scalp in the name of making my hair.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at that – something she soon joined in, the both of us reminiscing ‘that incident.’ 

So, a few months back, Shay had innocently complained to her Aunt Leticia, that she was feeling too lazy to make the thirty-five minute drive to Mani's Hair Salon.

Aunt Leticia, wanting to help, had offered to make Shay's hair to save her the trouble. Not having to go to a salon, and just having your aunt make your hair right in the comfort of your home – sounds perfect, right?

Well…

Yeah, so Aunt Leticia really did make Shay's hair, and she made it pretty nicely too. However, the problem was she had that kind of grip that was too strong. So, although Shay got the big, long, beautiful cornrows she wanted, she also got something else – a double dose of pain from how tightly the hair was braided.

By the time she was done, Shay could barely move her neck. But of course, she'd told Aunt Leticia that all was well even though she was crying inside, and well, her scalp was crying outside.

With that incident in mind, I wasn’t surprised at her addition of: “I’ll just swing by Mani's this weekend. Besides I—”

That was how far she got before she suddenly stopped, eyes widening slightly, with the next words that left her lips being: “damn it!”

Seeing as she’d scurried behind me in a panicked fit, I couldn't help from asking, “what are you doing?”

“Hiding.” 

Despite myself, I chuckled slightly at that. “You do realize we're the same height, right?” I pointed out, chuckling slightly. 

“Shit!”

And that did it. I whipped around to face her, saying, “Shay, stop acting crazy and tell me what's going on.”

“Adrian,” she started. “Him, me, can’t, got to go, explain later.”

And with that, she was scurrying away, stopping to hide behind Tommy Hilton before running towards a totally different direction from the one we were headed earlier.

As I watched her go, I could not help but wonder whether my friends had somehow caught the Hawk weirdness fever. If not that, then could the reason for Shay's weird behavior be something else? Or rather, someone else?