18: Could anyone just see through this horrible acting?

“Alright class, that's all for today,” Miss Green declared as the bell went off, signaling the end of the class.

A moment later, everyone was already packing up – me included. I practically shoved my books into my bag in less than a second.

Soon after, I was hurrying over to Hawk who was saying something to Kent that was making them laugh.

“SpongeBob, are you ready to go now?”

“Well, I still have to pa…” 

But he never got to finish, as I'd already held his bag up to him after shoving all his books in there in one go. “Great! All packed. Now, let's go.”

I didn't give him a chance to respond before holding his hand and pulling him away.

“Friend snatcher,” Kent called out from behind me. I turned to stick my tongue out at him – a gesture he was quick to mimic.

Typical Kent.

Now though, my attention was fixed on the girl in front of us. It’s a good thing she was always the last to leave class. It could be because she just enjoyed packing up at the pace of a turtle, or probably because she usually reserved some of her questions for after the class.

Normally, this was the time when I'd be saying: ‘bye, Miss Green’ and getting the hell out of class.

But today was different. Today, I was a girl with a plan.

“Ok, I have to ask – what's going on? You're acting pretty weird. And you know that means a lot coming from me,” Hawk remarked from beside me, looking pretty amused at the last part.

Despite myself, I couldn’t help but chuckle. “Listen, just go with the flow, ok? Follow my lead.”

I stared meaningfully at him, in an attempt to sink the point in. He nodded, albeit a little confused. Hence, I wasn’t surprised when he asked, “but what exactly are we flowing with here?”

We got close enough to Ria just then, and that was my cue. “What?” I echoed, voice loud, and lips struggling not to betray a laugh at Hawk’s startled expression – not like I could blame him though.

But on the plus side, Ria and Miss Green's attention had been drawn to us, alongside that of the other students who hadn't already left class.

“You think I won't be able to take this assignment seriously?” I asked, adding an ‘angry’ gasp which ended up coming out more exaggeratedly than I’d intended.

But if anyone noticed my shitty acting skills, they didn't show it. They were too immersed in the scene playing out in front of their eyes.

When Hawk didn't say anything but just stare at me like I'd been possessed by aliens, I widened my eyes slightly.

He seemed to have gotten my message because he suddenly said, “oh...yeah, I think that ‘cause uh...those are my thoughts and I have a right to think.”

Huh?

I bit back a chuckle at that. At the moment, I had a scene to finish.

So, I huffed. “Fine! I'm going to show you that I can be serious with my assignment.”

Gosh, could anyone just see through this horrible acting?

But of course, they were too intrigued with what they were seeing to care.

“Oh, yeah? Then fine!” Hawk said, looking like he wanted to smile, but quickly covering it up with a huff.

“And you know what?” I continued. “I'll do it without you. I'll get another assignment partner and then you’ll see.”