5: Such is the life of us super average guys

I would be lying if I said I didn't think of backing out of this silly idea of mine. But I knew there was no turning back since the moment I told my friends I'd not be able to join them for lunch, because I had to work on my assignment with Alice Durant.

Of course, they all looked at me like my brain grew wings. Not like I blamed them though; skipping lunch for assignments wasn't my style – at all. The most I could spare was an hour after school with my assignment partner, not an entire lunch period.

But in the end, I made up a lame excuse about how I didn't want Alice doing all the work herself. Gosh, now that I thought about it, that was really a lame excuse. I didn't want Alice doing all the work herself? Bunny having wings seemed more believable compared to that.

But thankfully, they chose to not question me any further. Although they were obviously still skeptical, I was too fixated on what I was about to do, to care much.

And now, here I was, heading behind the bleachers, the voice of reason in my head screaming: what the hell are you doing, Brooke?

But I’d come too far to back out now.

“Hey, SpongeBob.”

“B-Brooke?” The look on his face was almost comical to watch. “What are you doing here?” He added, after recovering from his initial surprise at seeing me.

“Isn't it obvious? I'm having lunch here.” 

“Huh?”

Seeing his confusion, I decided to skip the sarcasm and just go straight to the point.

“I-know-it-might-come-off-as-weird-but-I-think-I-could-really-use-your-help,” I said in a single breath.

“Ok,” he drawled. “Brooke, you're going to have to use your words if you want me to understand you. You know, words – it's the thing you use to communicate.”

“I know what words are,” I huffed. 

“Ok, sorry” he mused between chuckles, hands raised in mock surrender. “But seriously, you'll have to speak a little slower if you want me to understand you.”

Gosh, what was I even doing? This was my cue to forget this stupid idea and leave. Yet, I knew I wouldn't do that. 

So, sucking in breath, I decided to get on with it. “I need your help, Hawk,” I repeated, slower the time.

“Yeah, go ahead. Anything – well except for my SpongeBob shirt. I’m really possessive about it.”

“No, not that! Definitely not that,” I clarified through a small laugh, which was soon echoed by him. “You know that thing you said yesterday?”

“About my horrible middle name?” He offered, but I shook my head in the negative. 

“Not that one. You know...that other one…about…”

Why was there not a less embarrassing way to say this? Never in my weirdest thoughts would I have imagined a day would come when I'd have to ask for something like this.

Hawk on his part, stared expectantly at me, oblivious to my inner struggle. Knowing that if I delayed any longer I'd probably never get the words out, I just blurted it instead. “I need you to help me become a romantic.”

Hawk on his part, stared surprised back at me, lips slightly parted, yet no words came out. I would have told him he looked pretty funny with that look, but there were more important matters at hand.

“Yesterday, you said it's possible to learn how to love. I want you to teach me how it works – this whole love and romance thing, because I obviously have no idea how to go about it. I want to fall in love with Jason.”