33: Your beauty has left me intoxicated

I felt my face break into a grin as I caught sight of the beaming figure a distance away, who was now waving me over.

“Hey,” I chirped, finally reaching him. 

“Hey, B.” He stopped to take in my outfit, an impish smile curling on his lips. “I never knew you were such a baseball enthusiast.”

I gave a short incredulous laugh in response. “What? I love baseball. All the balls, and the throwing, and the…you know…things.”

Things? Seriously?

I rewarded myself with a thousand mental slaps. So much for trying to pose as a baseball lover just so I could get to spend time with Jason.

Yeah, Jason and I were talking last night – you know, the way we’d been doing for the past week now. It’s just something that became a routine without us even realizing it. And so far, things between us have been great…as friends.

That’s right – I was still in my self inflicted friend zone.

Well, last night, Jason mentioned that he'd be having a small game of baseball with his ‘pal’ today. And well, trust me to act like baseball was my favorite sport in the world, and of how much I enjoyed playing the game. As a result, Jason invited me to join them today for the game.

So, yeah, everything was going great – well, that's if you ignored the fact that my baseball skills were pretty much non-existent. But besides that, then everything was fine.

Now, however, his eyes gleamed with amusement at my comment. “Really?”

“Yeah,” I answered, even adding a duh expression. But in the face of his knowing smile, I gave in. “Ok, fine,” I sighed dramatically. “You know I can’t pass up an excuse to dress up.”

That earned a laugh from him – a deep, rich, throaty sound that I soon found myself echoing.

A moment later though, and I was asking, “so, where’s your friend?”

Or his ‘pal’ as he called him.

Though my question was voiced with a smile that translated to: ‘I’m totally a sweet and caring girlfriend material,’ my insides were hoping said friend rammed his head into a pole on his way, and would not be able to make it. Because then, Jason and I could have some alone time.

But how hopes got crushed.

“Oh, right,” he piped up with a soft chuckle, turning to call out: “hey, Elliot!”

I followed his line of sight, expecting some buff guy around our age to come into view. Hence, imagine my surprise when a cute dark-haired kid of about eight or nine, came jogging over to us, a white dog in tow.

“Elliot,” Jason started, casually slinging an arm around the younger boy – the action simple, yet fond. “This is Brooke, my friend. And Brooke, this here is Elliot, my little bro, regretfully.”

Elliot, or Jason’s little brother as I’d learnt, made a face at the last part. However, his attention was soon shifted towards something else – well, someone else.

“Hey, Elliot. It’s nice to finally meet you. Jason has told me a lot about you,” I mused, feeling my lips give way to a smile.

What followed was my hand being gently lifted, the feel of soft lips pressing against it.

“I hope you’ve heard only good things. Because I sure wouldn’t want a girl as beautiful as you to have a bad impression of me,” he remarked, wearing what I guessed was supposed to be a charming smirk, but was actually just a cute smile that left me wanting to pinch his cheeks at how endearing he looked.