Chapter Twenty-six

Five sets of eyes looked around in awe. This place was amazing. Marble and granite of all colors made up most of the towering buildings. Statues of mythical beasts lined the walkway. After about ten minutes of traveling, they finally came to a huge black onyx building. Aletta led the way into the building. Once inside, they walked into a hall filled with other Neikus who were standing on the side.

At the far end of the building sat what appeared to be a huge judge's bench made out of opal. Sitting behind it were two men each on the outside, then two women, and in the center sat another male. The three Neikus got down on one knee before the figures. The others got the hint and quickly did the same.

~THERE IS NEW BLOOD HERE YET IT IS NOT THAT OF A CHILD. WHO IS THIS NEW NEIKU, TENSHI?~ came all five voices at once.

"His name is Ethan. He is my charge," Aletta replied.

~HE HARDLY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT US. WHY IS THIS SO?~

"I fear for his safety from Airos."

~YOUR FATHER HAS FOUND YOU?~

"Yes. And he has taken the Soul Jem."

There was a loud gasp from the crowd of Neikus. Following not too close behind it was the murmur of what had just been said.

~SILENCE! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?~

"He is controlling one of my friends."

~HAS HE MERGED INTO SHADOW?~

"No! There is time. I can still save him. Airos doesn't have full control over him." Not anymore, Aletta thought as she mentally smirked.

~FINE. HE SHALL NOT BE STUNTED FOR HIS MISDEEDS. NOW ABOUT THIS NEW NEIKU. I WISH TO SPEAK TO HIM. STAND BEFORE THIS COUNCIL.~

Ethan slowly stood up.

~WHAT IS YOUR PRIME?~

"I don't know what you're talking about."

~TENSHI!~

"It's not her fault!"

The Elders fell silent, as did the other Neikus in the room. No one ever dared to talk to them like that. Only one person ever talked to them that way and he was dead. Not even the Angels who occasionally came here to be treated for injuries spoke to them like that.

"The only reason that I know I'm a Neiku is because not too long ago, in fact not even a month ago, I saw something that she couldn't see. It was because of that little gift that we are still alive. She hasn't taught me anything yet because I didn't want her to. So why don't you just back off!" Ethan yelled, his temper getting the best of him yet agaain.

At first the Elders said nothing. Aletta stood up and started to pull Ethan towards the door when they were stopped by a small chuckle. After a few moments it turned into a full laugh. In truth it was very disturbing to see five Elders, each a billion-years-old, laughing their heads off. When they finally quieted down Aletta didn't know whether to run or duck for cover.

~YOU ARE EXACTLY LIKE YOUR FATHER. THE EXACT SAME WAY.~

"You knew my father?" Ethan asked, stunned.

~OF COURSE WE KNEW YOUR FATHER. THEN AGAIN, WHO DID NOT?~

"Me."

~WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?~

"He died when I was still very young. I barely knew him."

~I AM SORRY. I NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING IMPORTANT. DO YOU HAVE A TATTOO LIKE HIS?~

"Yes, I do. It's on my right shoulder. Why?"

~THE HEIR OF RUBIN HAS COME AT LAST!~

All of the Neikus in the room burst into a wild fit of cheers, clapping, and applause. Ethan looked around at everyone then to Aletta. She was in a state of disbelief and shock. The other Neikus finally calmed down and left the building to spread the news about Rubin's heir finally coming. That left the little group alone in the great hall. Ethan turned back to address the Elders once more.

"What was that all about?"

"Ethan."

He turned to look at his girlfriend. Her head was hung low. Her bangs fell down into her face and hid her eyes from view. Ethan was actually a little glad that he couldn't see her eyes. It was the tone of her voice that made him not want to. Her tone was almost emotionless yet there was a hint of the same iciness that was present like when she was talking to her father.

"What?"

"Rubin was the kunshu of the Neikus here. You, his only son, are the heir. You will take his place." A small weak smile could be seen. "Congrats."

"What's a kunshu?" he asked.

Khris spoke up, unsure if her friend could stay sane enough to finish the rest. "Kunshu is Japanese. It means 'monarch'."

"Oh," Ethan said like it was nothing. Then it must have struck him. "MY FATHER WAS WHAT?!"

~YOU ARE THE PRINCE OF THE NEIKUS. THE TATTOO ON YOUR SHOULDER PROVES IT. NOW PRINCE, YOU WILL NEED SOMEONE TO TEACH YOU ABOUT US AND THE CODE OF ELISAD. WHO WILL DO THIS?~

"I will," Aletta said. "He's my charge."

The Elders seemed to consider this for a moment. ~FINE. JUST REMEMBER TO TREAT HIM LIKE A CHARGE AND NOT A LOVER. DISMISSED.~

Everyone turned to the doors and started to leave.

~TENSHI, WE NEED TO TALK TO YOU IN PRIVATE. YOUR FRIENDS WILL HAVE TO WAIT OUTSIDE FOR YOU.~

Ethan looked at Aletta and she nodded. He and the others left and headed to the Town Square, but not before Ethan planted a kiss on her cheek. After they were gone Aletta turned to face the Elders. In a way she knew what was coming from the moment she found out about Ethan being a prince.

~YOU DO KNOW THAT HIS ROYAL BLOOD CHANGES EVERYTHING, RIGHT, TENSHI?~

Aletta grimly nodded.

~THEN YOU HAVE NO CHOICE. YOU WILL GENZ.~