Chapter Seven

Carlos awoke with a start when his cuts began to sting. Opening his left eye, he began to feel the panic of being partially blind surface. The panic only increased when he realized that he was completely surrounded by water. He started to jump up when what he was lying on began to move.

Easy. You're safe.

"Giri?" the blue-eyed boy choked out.

The black and red dragon lifted his great head and looked at Carlos with one silver eye. Yeah, that's my name, he said with a chuckle before turning serious. How are you feeling?

"Like hell. What happened? How did I get here?"

I'll try to answer your questions later, kid. Can you hold on tight? I need to get you cleaned off.

"I think so."

Carlos gripped some of the dragon's blood-red spines as Giri slowly began his descent into the water. The crystal blue water was incredibly warm and made the cuts sting, but he didn't mind it. Taking a deep breath, he slipped under the water. Releasing some of the spines, he reached up with his free hand and rubbed his right eye. Bits of dried blood and dead skin came off of it, but he didn't try to open it. They broke the surface of the water a few seconds later.

Giri turned to look at Carlos. Any better?

"Yes. A lot. Thank you."

I'm not the one you should be thanking. That goes to my sister's aibou.

Carlos was puzzled. "Who?"

"Me."

Carlos looked above him to see a young man with white wings that had a silver shaft and were also tipped and streaked with silver. He had on a pair of baggy black jeans held up by a thick studded belt and he wore no shirt. His shoes were black hiking boots. Hair that was so platinum blonde that it seemed almost white in the sun was tied back with a strip of black leather. His eyes were a very deep shade of bluish-violet. Indigo was the correct term for the color. Muscles could be seen in his arms and chest and he even had a six-pack. He looked almost god-like.

The young man swooped down and landed before Carlos. It was then that he realized that the man was at least 6'3". Slowly, Carlos inched back away from him. The man kneeled down and took a closer look at Carlos. Finally, he lifted off.

"Alright, Giri. He's about as clean as he can be without scrubbing him down. Let's take him back to my place. I want to take a look at him as soon as possible."

Giri let out a mighty roar as he flapped his massive wings in an effort to get free of the water. Carlos let out a startled gasp as the dragon broke free and shot straight up. His stomach seemed to disappear and the minute it reappeared, it began to do flip-flops. Carlos began to get dizzy and slowly lost his hold on the reptile below him. Just as he was about to fall, a weight settled behind him and a pair of arms ensnared his waist.

"Whoa! We can't have any of that. Don't worry, I've got ya. You alright?"

"Yeah," Carlos replied weakly. "I just feel really weak and light-headed. The take-off didn't help much either."

"Blood loss. I suspected as much. Well, I don't want to risk letting go of you now. Do you mind if I stay where I am?"

"No, I don't. I just feel very tired."

"Well, go to sleep. We'll be at my place in a few minutes."

"Thanks..." Carlos said as he drifted off.

You think this is a good idea? Giri asked.

"Well, with the earful that I plan to give Reim, I don't think he'll be wanting this boy back for a long while."

Giri suddenly tilted his massive head and let out a small burst of flame as he spiraled towards the house below. She's here!

The young Neiku was startled. "Who is here?"

My aibou!