Chapter Eleven

"There. I'm done."

"How does it look?"

"I'm not going to lie to you. It looks bad. It's not as bad as it could have been, but it's still not a pretty sight. If you give it a while, though, I can guarantee that they will fade."

Carlos turned so that he could see Blade with his un-bandaged eye. He had just gotten the bandages taken off his back. The cuts were healed, thanks to the paste that had been applied, but the scars from the wounds were very bad.

Blade looked at Carlos for a moment. "Do you want to take the bandage off your eye?"

Carlos looked at the floor. "I... guess so."

Blade moved to sit down in front of Carlos. He reached up and began to gently untie the knot. Slowly, he began to remove the white linen from around the blue-eyed boy's head. Blade made sure to be extremely careful so as not to cause any more damage.

"Do you think Aletta will be okay?" Carlos asked out of the blue.

The indigo-eyed man hesitated, thinking. "She'll be fine," he said, resuming his work. "I've known her all my life. Ever since she was born."

"Wow. You two really are close, aren't you?"

Blade frowned. "We are bound by more than just friendship."

"I know. I understand that."

"No, you don't, actually."

"Actually, I do. Three really big scaly things with wings told me," Carlos said, smiling.

The man stopped moving. "Is our secret safe with you?"

Carlos glared at him. "I'm no snitch."

"I'm glad. There, the bandage is off. Would you like a mirror?"

"Sure. Why not?"

Blade went over to the dresser and pulled out an old silver hand mirror. Blowing off some dust, he tossed it to the sixteen-year-old. Carlos caught it and wiped off some more before looking at his reflection. The cut was at least three inches long. It started on his brow and cut through his eyebrow. It continued on across the lid of his eye and finally ended on his cheek. A gentle hand touched his shoulder.

"You okay with this?"

"Yeah. In fact, I kinda like it."

The platinum-haired man let out a sigh. "Finally, someone with brains enough to accept their body no matter what is wrong with it!" Blade cracked a smile. "You want to try opening it?"

Carlos said nothing, but just smiled as he opened his right eye.