Chapter Twenty-one

"I don't like this," Cane said. "What is he doing here?"

"How did he know where to find her is what I want to know," Khris said in disgust.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Iceara said from her place by the door.

"Why? What's going on, Ice?" Rich asked.

"Nothing is going on."

"Then why are you worried?"

"I'm worried because I don't hear anything. That's not a good sign. Especially if they hate each other."

Just then, there was a sharp cry followed by the sound of something being struck repeatedly. The five Neikus arrived outside just in time to see Aletta hit the steps one last time before landing in a heap at the bottom of the stone steps. They rushed to her side just as she rolled over and looked up at Airos.

Ethan glanced up at the dark man. His hand was still poised in the air and he had a blank look on his face. It was quickly replaced with a sick smile. Ethan assumed that he would leave now, but he just stood there looking down at them. Ethan knelt down next to Aletta and helped her sit up.

"I'm fine. It's just a couple of bumps and bruises," she said, leaning into Ethan's embrace.

As soon as the Reka heard these words, he turned, released his wings, and lifted off. His red-trimmed black leather wings whistling in the wind was the only sound heard. Aletta watched sadly as he flew off. She got to her feet. Looking at the sky one last time, she slowly began to walk into the house.

"You love him, don't you?"

Aletta stopped walking and turned to face Rich. "What?"

"Airos. You love him as your father," Rich said, smiling.

"How did you come to that conclusion?" Aletta asked defensively.

"The way you were looking at him. I have the same look for my brothers after one of them beats the hell outta me." Rich smirked. "Am I right?"

Aletta gritted her teeth. "No. You're dead wrong."

"Then tell us why you weren't fighting back," Cane said.

"Because I learned a long time ago that when he has his hands on me and wants to talk that it's better to listen peacefully than to fight my way out of it," Aletta said, turning to go in again.

"Fighting him is better than giving him, saying he's better, and admitting defeat," Cane said, crossing his arms with a snort.

Aletta spun to face him, her eyes turning a dark violet. "Shut up! You have no idea what it was like for me. You weren't there. You know nothing!"

"Hey! Khris and I both know what it was like. You might have forgotten this, but our parents were abusive too."

"I didn't forget. You just don't seem to get what it's like to not be able to control your own body. I couldn't stop myself from hurting innocent people. You can't begin to understand the pain I felt."

"At least your dad didn't rape you in front of your sister!" Cane said as he spread his ocean blue wings and took off.

Iceara released her wings and followed after him in a flurry of dark and light blue. Khris said nothing but ran into the house with tears going down her face. Ethan watched, and Aletta slowly made her way to the observatory steps and spread her tri-colored wings. She got close to the ledge and it looked like she was going to leave.

"Where are you going?" Ethan asked.

"Bro, could you go into my room and grab my pack and swords? I would appreciate it. Eth, come here, please. I need to speak with you."

Rich ran into the house to do what his sister asked of him. Ethan slowly climbed the stairs, almost fearing what she had to say. When he got to the top, she pulled him into a hug. Wrapping her wings around them, she rested her head on his shoulder. Ethan responded by holding her close and leaning his head against hers to give her strength for whatever it was she needed to say.

"I have to go check on Blade. Father said that he went to go see him and I'm worried. I don't want him hurt."

Ethan felt a pang of jealousy. "Well, go right ahead. I won't stop you." Is that what's got her so worried? That can't be all.

"Father also challenged me to a duel to the death against him and Carlos tomorrow."

"You can't go!" Ethan blurted out.

"I have to," Aletta said sadly. "This may be my only chance to put an end to the war between Father and I."

"What about Carlos?"

"I'll try to get him out of the fight early by knocking him out. Besides, I couldn't kill him even if I tried. Not without causing permanent injury to myself."

"Let me come," Ethan said suddenly. "I can take care of Carlos for you."

"I can't let you do that."

"Why not?"

"Because you have no training. Besides, I fight better alone."

"Please be careful. I don't want to have to come to a funeral instead of a wedding," he said, lightly touching the silver engagement ring with seven diamonds that was on her left ring finger.

"Just worry about yourself," Aletta said, pulling him into a deep kiss.

Ethan melted into the kiss like it was the only thing that mattered in the world. His only thought was that he wanted more. He ran his tongue across her bottom lip, seeking entrance. She parted her lips and Ethan took the opportunity to ravage her mouth. Their tongues danced in a show of passion and love. They pulled apart only when the need for air overtook them.

"Are you two done yet?" Rich asked with a hand over his eyes.

"Yes, we're done," Ethan said, pouting.

Rich took a peek and made sure it was safe before he removed his hand from over his eyes. The two lovers were blushing, but they didn't pull away from each other. Rich rolled his eyes at the display, muttering something about them getting a room.

"Here's your swords and pack. I took the liberty of putting an extra dagger in there, as well as a med kit in case you get into a lot of trouble."

"Thanks, bro. I owe you one," she said, taking the pack and swords after pulling away from Ethan.

"Yeah right," he said with a roll of his eyes.

She strapped the swords onto her back upside down so the handle was pointed to the ground. It made it easier to sneak it out of the sheath was what she said when questioned about it. Next, she slipped the black velvet pack onto her shoulder. Aletta gave Rich a great big hug that he sadly returned. Ethan and the sandy blonde kissed again, only this time, they did it like they were never going to again, which they might not. Finally, they broke apart from each other.

"Don't tell the others that I'm gone. Let them figure it out on their own. I don't want to tell them goodbye like this. But when they do figure it out, tell them everything I told you." Aletta took to the air. "Bye," she called back over her shoulder.

"Bye," the two said as she slowly faded into the distance.