4

"WHY WOULD YOU ASK me that?" Landon asked, Furrowing his brows at Jaxon who explained, "the werewolf gene lies dormant until the carrier takes a human life. If your buddy triggered his curse, it's because he killed someone— whether accidentally or..."

"And we don't accept coldblooded killers into our program," Alaric added making Landon look at him, "He's not a killer."

"We're not trying—" Hope was cut off by Landon who shot her a glare, "—he's not a killer!"

"Watch that tone, emo boy." Jaxon spoke coldly, voice void of emotions, "we know about your friend's background. Neglectful birth parents. Orphaned in adolescence. Six foster homes in seven years— sounds pretty damn suspicious to me."

Landon clenched his fists, prone to fit of anger, "yeah, you could just as easily be reading my file... That's what it's like out there for people like him and me."

"Landon, I know this is a lot to take in right now, but we're only trying to help. I've been going here since I was seven. This is a safe place for people like Rafael," Hope explained, "It's a home."

"But..." Alaric cut in, "if we take him in, we need to make sure that he is not a threat."

"Now talk before I lose it and go kill him right now."

"And you call this safe." Landon scoffed but instantly shut up when Jaxon glared at him. "His girlfriend..." Landon sighed, "Cassie. Last month... he was driving, there was a storm, he took a turn too fast. And then he started acting out. At first I thought it was just grief. And then maybe... maybe drugs or something. And then he threw a— pound lawnmower feet across the yard. That was when our foster parents called in the priest. I guess they thought he was possessed by the devil."

"Thank you for that, Landon," Alaric said while Hope placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, "Everything's gonna be okay. I promise. We're ready."

Just then, the door opened and Milton Greasley walked in.

"Come on, Dr. Saltzman." MG said while Alaric looked at him, "Right. MG. I'm sorry. Take it from a guy named Alaric. I get it. Landon, MG is my student aide. He's also a vampire."

"Of course he is," Landon scoffed, "you know, for a school with a secret to keep, you're kind of liberal with your information. I could just go tell everyone about—"

"—Brave of you to think you're walking out of here alive." Jaxon said making Alaric roll his eyes while Hope took a deep breath knowing that Jaxon wouldn't hesitate to kill Landon right there, right now. She said, "well, we don't actually intend for you to remember any of it."

"Forget everything you've seen or learned since last night, " MG compelled, "All you need to know is that your friend has found a home where he can live a better life. You'll miss him. But you know it's for the best."

"Are you two out of your minds?" Landon snapped, compulsion not working, "how could I forget any of this?"

"MG, did you do it wrong?" Alaric asked to which MG shook his head, "no, I didn't do it wrong. It's the easiest vampire trick in the book."

"Well, it didn't work." Alaric said making Hope scoff, "obviously, it didn't work."

"So, death is it then?" Jaxon asked. Alaric shook his head, "no, no. He's probably on vervain—" he looked at MG, "take him to the cellar."

**

Jaxon was walking around when he heard Lizzie talking with Rafael. He walked towards them and stopped as he listened.

"Guys like me?" Rafael asked to which Lizzie replied, "you know... Hot. Angry. Damaged."

"Yeah, well, I sort of made a point in my life of, uh, keeping clear of girls like you," Rafael's words hurt Lizzie though she didn't show it, "so I guess I'm gonna go find Landon."

"Jackass," Jaxon rolled his eyes at the guy who walked away before he went towards Lizzie who looked sad. "Hey, sis."

Jaxon didn't want her to have yet another episode so he decided to calm her down because he cared about her although he would never tell anyone that—not even her.

"Came to mock me?" Lizzie asked, sadness clear in her tone. Jaxon shook his head, "come on, let's go on the roof. I've got something to show you."

"Really?" Lizzie said nothing as Jaxon grabbed her hand and led her to his room, "you better know how to climb."