38

THE NECROMANCER WAS APPARENTLY the one responsible for bringing back all the dead people. It was remembrance day. Students of the Salvatore school were asked to write letters to their dead loved ones and scatter them across the cemetary.

Jaxon never really saw the purpose of that— how he'd like to call it— shit. He thought it was a stupid thing.

It has been two days since the Necromancer has been caught and brought to the cells, two days since Alaric has been trying to get him to talk but it was like the man was immune to pain considering he was never once affected by his beatings.

Jaxon didn't go to see the monster for he has been busy with his own things. The boy had forgotten that he had homeworks to do, like every other normal teenagers. He scoffed at that and at his last night thoughts— the one where he wished where he was a normal teen. There went that wish.

Jaxon was not liking Hope's sudden closeness with Rafael but there was nothing he could do. He had to convince himself that it was for the best. She was distancing herself away from him and that was— according to him— the best thing to do.

The two haven't spoken for two days straight and neither of them liked it. Hope didn't know what was going on in Jaxon's head but she couldn't do anything about it, thinking that he needed some time alone. She has been told by Alaric what happened with Josette Laughlin— who told him about his mother. So she figured that it would be safe to leave him be for a while.

As Jaxon walked back inside the school from a run, he was met with the sight of Rafael hugging a girl. He furrowed his brows at that, tilting his head to the side as he took in her scent and appearance, "oh, fuck." He scrunched up his nose in disgust making Rafael, Cassie and Hope look at him, "she smells like a dead body."

Realization hit him as he took in the tears in Rafael's eyes, "damn, she's your supposedly dead girlfriend, isn't she? I'm assuming she was resurrected as well." Rafael and Hope nodded at his words. He looked at Rafael, trying not to breath in so as not to smell that gross smell again, "You should probably offer her a, I don't know— shower and clothes."

Rafael nodded before grabbing Cassie's hand and leading her to his dorm while Hope and Jaxon looked at each other. Without saying anything, Jaxon turned around and walked away, down to the basement where Alaric was with the necromancer with Hope following him after rolling her eyes at his behaviour.

She had no idea why he was acting like that but she knew that he was distancing himself for she didn't know what reason although she had a slight idea and she hoped that she was right—she wouldn't be happier if she was.

"Ric," Jaxon spoke up while entering making Alaric who was about to burn the necromancer stop his action and turn around. The Necromancer looked at Jaxon, "hmm, you have a strong smell of death on you. No, no, wait— Hades?"

"What?" Jaxon frowned at the guy, "what the fuck are you talking about?"

"Hades," The Necromancer repeated, smirking at what he figured out, "you're Hades's son, aren't you?"

"And you are—?" Jaxon asked, narrowing his eyes at the ugly–looking monster. The necromancer scoffed, turning his attention to Hope, "ah, I was wondering when you'd visit me again. How's your friend, the one I saw you with earlier trying to steal an illicit peek at me?"

"As we speak, he's having an emotional reunion with his dead girlfriend." Hope responded with a hint of bitterness in her tone, "I assume we have you to thank?"

"Poor dear," the necromancer smirked, "her spirit was clinging to him like a vine in winter. It took barely any effort. Just a little wrinkle at the nose, and poof." He paused for dramatic effects, "young love reborn. You're lucky that's all I did. The way you've treated a man of my stature, you should be ashamed."

"Literally nobody knows who the fuck you are, dude." Jaxon spoke, rolling his eyes as Alaric stepped out of the cell with the necromancer inside.

"That's impossible." The necromancer scoffed as Alaric looked at the two teenagers, "I'll check on Raf." Then he walked away, leaving them alone with the necromancer.

"If you want an end to this misery..." The necromancer spoke up to the two who were staring at him, "simply bring me the knife and I'll be on my way—"

"—Hope! Jaxon!" Alaric called out making them both sigh before leaving as well.