Chapter 17

Lorelei had not seen Molly since they were at Roasters. They were on a night shift together, but they were both so busy that Lorelei did not have time yet to confront Molly about inviting Jesse to the wedding.

Lorelei was sitting in the break room eating her salad. She was watching the door and waited for Molly to come in.

After a few minutes, Molly waltzed into the room. She was sipping on a coffee she got from the cafeteria. Her dark curls were twisted up and held in place by a pen. Lorelei dropped her fork in her salad and scowled.

"What's that face for?" Molly asked. "Did Room Five's wife call again? I swear she's such a-"

"That's not why I'm mad," Lorelei cut her off.

"Then what has gotten you so sour?" Molly asked.

Lorelei crossed her arms over her chest. She watched as her friend pulled her meal out of the fridge and placed it in the microwave.

"Seriously?" Lorelei asked. "You don't know why I am mad at you?"

"I know you don't like the colour of your maid-of-honour dress, but we have already been over that," Molly said.

Lorelei scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"You had no right to invite Jesse to the wedding," she said.

"Last time I checked it was my wedding," Molly said. "I can invite whoever I want."

"I barely know the guy. You don't know him at all."

"Then why did he say yes?"

Lorelei shrugged. Molly smirked, feeling like she had already won the argument. There was a beep and she pulled her container out of the microwave.

"Do you see the way that he looks at you?" Molly asked.

"What are you talking about?" Lorelei asked.

Molly leaned against the counter and twirled her pasta around her fork.

"I thought Anthony looked at me special," she said, "but Jesse has stars in his eyes when he looks at you."

Lorelei sucked in her bottom lip. She could vaguely remember what Jody said in the Alibi. She recalled that it was something about him being possessive. That word terrified Lorelei. Matthew was possessive jealous type, which was ironic considering his betrayal.

"You don't think he's going to turn into another Matthew, do you?" she asked.

"I doubt Jesse is going to sleep with your Mom," Molly said with a mouthful of food.

Lorelei pinched the bridge of her nose. She and Molly had many nights full of ice cream and wine after she had walked in on Matthew and her Mom. Lorelei preferred that Molly did not speak about it because she wanted it to be a distant memory. The excessive calls from Matthew and her Mom stopped her from forgetting about it though.

"Let's not talk about that," Lorelei said.

Her phone vibrated on the table and she raised a brow. She wondered who would be texting her at two in the morning. She looked at the screen to see that it was a message from Jesse. She smiled and swiped her thumb across the screen.

Jesse: Hey beautiful girl. I hope your shift is going well.

Molly chuckled when she saw Lorelei beaming with a smile. She watched as Lorelei typed a message.

Lorelei: It's good. Why are you up?

Jesse: I can't sleep and I've been thinking about you.