Chapter 50

Lorelei needed to talk to someone, and it was killing her that Molly was in Fiji. With the time difference, Molly was asleep. Lorelei did not have many friends. She had fallen out of contact with her university friends and Mona was her only female co-worker that she felt close to besides Molly. She did not want to explain the racy photo to Mona.

Lorelei almost went back to her apartment, but she knew that she would be crying and cuddling Milo. She needed to talk, and there was only one person that would understand her situation.

Jody.

Lorelei knew that going to her was risky, but she did not know who else to go to.

She pulled out her cell. She cringed when she opened it and the first thing to show was Mateo's photo. She exited it and called Jody.

The phone rang and Lorelei prayed that she would answer. She did not know who else to call if Jody did not pick up.

"Hey, Lorelei," Jody said. Some of the tension eased from Lorelei's chest. "What's up?"

"Jesse and I just had a fight," she said.

"Oh, shit," Jody said. "About what?"

"The photo that Mateo took."

She could hear Jody let out a deep breath.

"I was afraid that would happen," Jody said.

"Seriously?" Lorelei asked. "And you still let me take that photograph?"

"I thought that the odds would be in your favour," she said. "Where are you?"

"I just left Jesse's."

"I live near him. Come over. I'll text you the address."

They said their goodbyes and Lorelei ended the call. Her phone buzzed with a text from Jody. Lorelei recognized the address as being a few blocks away so she walked over.

When she got up to Jody's apartment, she knocked on the door and Jody answered right away. Jody was wearing a pair of leggings and what she assumed was one of Mateo's shirts. She had no make-up on and Lorelei had never seen her look so natural. She was still in awe and struck by her beauty.

"Come in, Girl," Jody said. "We're making pancakes."

Lorelei stepped in and kicked off her shoes. She looked to the side to see that Mateo was standing at the stove. She did not consider that Mateo would be here. She now thought that maybe they lived together and she did not think about that before.

"Hey, Lorelei," Mateo said.

Jesse would be mad at her for being with Jody, but she knew that he would be outraged if he knew that she was with Mateo. He already thought she was cheating on him with Mateo.

"I should probably not be here," Lorelei said.

Jody waved her hand to try and dismiss Lorelei's worries.

"Don't worry about it," she said. "Jesse will lose the stick up his ass soon."

Jody sat down on one of the stools at the kitchen island. She pulled out the one next to her and patted it. Lorelei sucked in her bottom lip and thought about leaving before sitting down.

"So what happened?" Jody asked.

"This morning I went to the bathroom and when I came back he was on my phone," Lorelei said. "He saw a message from an unknown number, so he looked at it and then saw the photo."

"I didn't even get saved as a contact?" Mateo asked. "That's cold."

"Babe, that's not the issue right now," Jody said.