Chapter 39

Lorelei was relieved that Molly never said anything about the choker that Jesse had given her to wear. She had not taken it off since Jesse had put it around her neck last night. Molly was more focused on a pimple that she woke up with on her chin. Katrina and Jenna were trying a variety of concealers to try and hide it.

Molly was wearing a silk robe and was sitting in front of a small mirror. The hairstylist was putting Molly's curls into an updo as her friends tried their best to cover her pimple with makeup. Lorelei was sitting on the end of the bed watching them. Molly took all of their phones and stacked them on the desk. She did not want any distractions. She knew that Lorelei would spend all morning texting Jesse.

"I think we got it," Katrina said.

Molly leaned in closer to the mirror to get a better look at her chin.

"Why does this have to happen today?" she asked.

"It's probably the stress," Lorelei said. "Remember how you used to break out before exams?"

Molly let out a huff of breath.

"Damn stress," she muttered.

The hairdresser put the last pin in Molly's hair. Molly waved for Lorelei to sit in the chair in the front of the mirror. She was the last one to get her hair done. The woman brushed, pulled, and curled Lorelei's hair to put it into a matching hairstyle to the other bridesmaids.

The girls put on their dresses. Molly's mother helped them zip up the back of their gowns. Her eyes watered when she saw Molly in her gown. Despite being at every alteration, Lorelei was always in awe of how beautiful her friend looked as a bride. Her gown hugged her figure and lace and beading covered the gown. Molly cried as she threw her arms around her mother's neck.

There was a pang of jealousy in Lorelei's chest knowing that she would never get a moment like this with her own mother.

"You'll ruin your make-up, Molls," her mother said. "Don't cry."

Molly took in a sharp breath as she struggled to not ruin her mascara. The photographer came into the hotel room, and Lorelei silently cursed to herself. She hated photos and she knew that today was going to be full of pictures. She tried to stay at the back of the room, but Molly pulled Lorelei into nearly every photo.

David's wife, Mya, came into the room and brought her five-year-old daughter Susy. She was dressed up with a flower crown of pink and white flowers. She ran up to Molly to show off to her aunt her dress.

Molly grabbed Lorelei's arm and clung to her as they left the hotel room. They were both smiling and giggling. Lorelei remembered when they were little girls and they would throw weddings for each other. She was glad that almost ten years later they were still best friends.

When they got outside the reception, the men were waiting for them. Molly hugged her father when she saw him, and he was afraid to touch her and ruin her hair or veil.

Lorelei's smile fell when she saw Bryan. His hands were in his pockets and he was watching Molly and her father, but was sneaking glances at Lorelei. She took in a deep breath and held up her chin, not letting Bryan ruin Molly's day.

Molly instructed everyone where to stand, like they had not attended the rehearsal last night. Bryan held out his arm and Lorelei took it. She clutched the bouquet of pink and white flowers tight in her other hand.

The music played and Susy was the first to walk down the aisle. She threw flowers from the small woven basket in her hand as she walked. Everyone awed at her cuteness.

Lorelei's heart was pounding when she felt Bryan's hand tighten on her arm. He leaned in closer to her, and she could smell his cologne. It was much more musky than the one that Jesse wore.

"You look gorgeous," he said.

"Thank you," she squeaked.

Jenna and Adam walked down the aisle first. Lorelei could feel the sweat building up on his palms.

"I'm sorry for what I said last night," Bryan whispered in her ear.

"It's okay," Lorelei said, keeping her gaze straight.

Katelyn and James were the next to walk down the aisle to the music. Lorelei's heart was pounding so fast that she thought it would beat out of her chest.

"I think we should go out again," Bryan said.

"I have a boyfriend now," Lorelei said.

Katrina and Keith were next. Lorelei held her breath. Suddenly, she was eager to get moving so that Bryan would stop talking to her.

"It can't be that serious," he said. "We just went out."

Lorelei bit down on her lip, refusing to say anything.

As soon as it was their time, Lorelei was pulling Bryan. She struggled not to run down the aisle, desperate to part from Bryan. She forced a smile on her lips knowing that this was going to be on Molly and Anthony's wedding video.

Lorelei's heart fluttered when she saw Jesse. He was sitting next to the aisle, and she wondered if he came early to get a spot where he could see her. She had never seen him in a suit before, but he looked handsome in his black jacket and tie. His hair was styled back. Her smile turned into a genuine one.

The tightness eased from Lorelei's chest when she parted from Bryan at the altar. Everyone stood in preparation for Molly.

Molly was walking down the aisle on her father's arm. Lorelei looked over at Anthony to see his eyes watering as he covered his mouth. When his hands dropped, he had a wide smile on his face. Her father kissed her cheek before she stepped forward to the altar.

Lorelei thought it was sweet to watch Molly and Anthony. They were both struggling not to cry as they said their vows. Lorelei snuck glances at Jesse to see that he was watching her instead of the bride and groom. She was afraid to look at the other side of the altar to see if Bryan was looking at her. She wondered if Jesse noticed Bryan potentially looking in her direction?

Everyone cheered when Molly and Anthony kissed. Lorelei clapped her hands as she watched them walk down the aisle together. She tried to keep the smile on her face when she had to reunite with Bryan to leave the reception. This time, she was not worried about pulling Bryan out of the altar. No one noticed in all the excitement.

She let go of his arm as soon as they were back in the hotel. Lorelei crossed her arms over her chest so that Bryan would not try to reach for her. The photographer was ushering them to a courtyard for photos and Lorelei groaned.

She stepped forward to join the wedding party, but someone grabbed the back of her arm. She jumped and spun, expecting it to be Bryan. She pushed him away, but another strong arm wrapped around her waist. The man was too tall to be Bryan, so she looked up to see it was Jesse. She sighed in relief.

"I just wanted to say you look beautiful before you had to leave for photos," Jesse said.

"Did you run out of the reception?" Lorelei asked.

Jesse smirked. "Why do you think I got an aisle seat?"

Lorelei giggled. Jesse leaned down to kiss her. His lips were soft against hers. It was one of his tender kisses instead of his dominating ones. She sighed as she melted into his body. She held onto his tie to try and pull him closer.

"Hey, Lovebirds!" Molly yelled. "This is my wedding. Save your love for another time, please."

Lorelei pulled away from Jesse. He gave her one last kiss on the forehead before stepping back. Lorelei turned and hurried as fast as her heels would allow her to get into the courtyard. She avoided looking at the disappointment on Bryan's face.