Chapter 35

Lorelei was cooking dinner when her phone rang. She had finished her string of night shifts, so dinner was more like breakfast as she made bacon and eggs. She looked at her phone, expecting it to be Jesse, but Jody's name flashed across the screen. She had not talked to her since her birthday brunch. Lorelei answered the phone and put it on speakerphone.

"Hey, girl," Jody said. "You busy tonight?"

"I was just going to watch a movie," Lorelei said.

"Lexi cancelled on me last minute," Jody said. "I'm really wanting to go out. Come with me for a drink?"

Lorelei looked down at herself. She was still wearing her pajamas because she only woke up a few hours ago. Her hair was a mess on the top of her head.

"I'll need a little bit to get ready," she said.

"That's okay!" Jody said. "I can meet you at eight. I'll text you the details."

"Great."

They said their goodbyes and Lorelei ended the call. She ate her dinner and her phone vibrated. It was a text from Jody with the name of a bar. Lorelei was relieved when she recognized the name of the bar and knew that she could dress casually.

She decided to text Jesse because she knew he would be wondering where she was tonight. She was sure that if she did not tell Jesse, he would think that she was hiding it from him.

Lorelei: I'm going out with Jody tonight.

Lorelei took the last bite of her eggs as she watched the three dots in the corner of the screen. Jesse was a fast replier. It was a change from Matthew, who would never respond.

Jesse: Why?

Lorelei rolled her eyes.

Lorelei: Because she invited me out for a drink

Jesse: Only one drink

Lorelei sighed before flipping her phone over so that the screen was down. She slid off of the stool and walked over to her bedroom. She changed into a pair of jeans and then looked around the floor for a shirt. She grabbed a couple of the T-shirts scattered around the bed. She sorted through them, and she smiled when she saw Jesse's shirt.

He had been spending many nights at Lorelei's apartment, and she would find pieces of him lying around. She was sure some of her belongings had made it to his place. Almost every night that they did not work, they were together.

Lorelei slipped on the jeans and pulled the shirt over her head. It was much too large for her, so she tucked it into the waistband of her jeans. She went into the bathroom and brushed her hair. Her hickies had faded and were barely noticeable. She had struggled the past week to try and hide them. She applied her make-up while Milo jumped on the counter and watched her.

She checked her phone before she slipped it into her back pocket. She had one more text message from Jesse.

Jesse: Lorelei, don't get drunk

She chewed on her bottom lip as she read the message. Jesse was acting the same way he did when Lorelei went to the Matrixxx. She knew that it came from a caring spot, but she thought that it was way too controlling.

Lorelei: I won't

She tucked her phone away as she stepped out of the apartment. Lorelei put her headphone in her ears and blasted her music as she walked to the bar. When she got there, she saw Jody standing outside. Her long dark hair was twisted back into a braid. She had on a dress with a floral pattern. It wasn't something she was expecting her to see Jody in, and it looked on in contrast to the tattoo of the tiger running down her arm. She had on the thin chain of a collar. She smiled when she saw Lorelei.