Chapter 36

Lorelei thought about telling Molly she was sick and could not make it to her rehearsal dinner. The idea of seeing Bryan made Lorelei want to gag, so it was not completely a lie. She knew Molly would want the support though. Their friendship was too strong to let a man come in between them.

Lorelei's heels clicked as she walked into the hotel reception. She was the last to arrive, and everyone was standing around the altar which was an arch covered with pink and white flowers. Her heart sunk in her chest when she saw Bryan. He smiled when he saw her.

"Lorelei!" Molly yelled, causing everyone to stare at her. "Great, you're here. Now we can start."

Molly instructed everyone on where to stand. Lorelei kept her head down and retreated to the back, hoping Bryan would not notice her. He sped up so that he could walk beside her.

"Hey, Lorelei," he said.

Lorelei sucked in her bottom lip as she looked up at him. His smile grew and she swallowed past the lump forming in her throat.

"Hi," she said, her voice squeaking.

He held his arm out and looked at the other bridesmaids and groomsmen. The women were all holding the crook of the man's elbow. Lorelei wished that Molly had made her brother, David, the Best Man. She took Bryan's arm and he pulled her closer.

Lorelei could not stop chewing on her lip as she watched each set of people walk down the aisle. She could not wait to let go of Bryan's arm and part from him.

When it was their turn to walk, Lorelei struggled not to run. She did feel like she was dragging Bryan down the aisle. She wondered if he wanted to go slower than intended because he was able to keep her close. Once at the altar, she ripped her hand free and stood with the rest of the bridesmaids.

Molly walked down the aisle with a wide smile while on her father's arm. Lorelei snuck a look at Bryan to see that he was staring at her. She tried to avert her gaze.

Lorelei tried to focus on the rehearsal, but she found herself being distracted by Bryan. She was hyper-aware of his every move, and she tried to keep as much distance between the two of them as possible.

As they walked toward the hotel bar, Lorelei pulled her phone out of her pocket. She was disappointed when she didn't see a text from Jesse, but she knew that he was at work.

She headed straight to the bar and she could hear someone walking close behind her and she prayed that it was not Bryan. She leaned against the counter and ordered a drink. Bryan came into her peripheral view when he leaned against the bar. Lorelei tapped her foot as she waited for the bartender to make her drink.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Good," she said, deciding to keep her answers short.

"You look really pretty tonight."

"Thanks."

Lorelei kept her eyes fixed on the bartender as he made her drink. She hurried away from the bar with her drink as soon as he was finished.

The wedding party plus both of Molly and Anthony's parents were at a table. Lorelei sat down across from Molly. People were slowly making their way from the bar to the table. Lorelei's heart pounded as she watched everyone sit down and no one taking the spot next to her. She saw Bryan notice this opening and hurry over.

Lorelei rolled her eyes and Molly kicked her under the table. The dishes clanged as they jumped. Molly plastered on a fake smile and a bubbly laugh. Bryan pulled out the seat next to Lorelei. She pulled out her phone again, but there were no texts.

The dinner was spent sharing stories of Molly and Anthony. Their parents told stories about their childhoods and their wedding party shared stories about them in university. Lorelei told a story about when Molly and she got drunk at a high school party and Molly fell asleep while everyone drew on her face. Molly scowled while her parents shook their heads in embarrassment, but everyone else at the table was howling in laughter.

Lorelei almost forgot that Bryan was sitting beside her until after a few beers he had the courage to put his hand on the back of Lorelei's chair. She stiffened. He was not touching her, but his hand was just inches away from her shoulder. She held onto her breath as he leaned in closer to her.

"Can I talk to you?" he said softly.

Lorelei let out a shaky breath. She wanted to say no, but she did not want there to be even more tension between her and Bryan. She did not want to be responsible for Molly's day not going perfect.

"Okay," Lorelei said.

She followed Bryan as he stood and walked out of the hotel's restaurant. Lorelei crossed her arms over her chest. She looked over her shoulder to see Molly watching them as they left.

He walked into the front lobby of the hotel. There were a couple of leather chairs and couches spread out. He sat down on the end of one of the couches and patted down on the seat next to him, motioning for her to sit beside him. Lorelei sat on the couch across from him. He ran his fingers through his hair before loosening his tie.

"You've been avoiding me ever since that night," Bryan said.

Watch what you say, Lorelei thought. You can't ruin Molly's wedding.

"I've just been busy with life," Lorelei said.

"Did I do something?" Bryan asked.

She remembered their lackluster night together. It was the polar opposite of what she has experienced with Jesse. With Bryan, it was short and vanilla. She could not tell him that though.

"You didn't do anything," Lorelei said. "It's me."

"Are you giving me the usual 'it's not you, it's me' speech?" he asked.

Lorelei sighed.

"Maybe," she said. "You're a great guy. I just don't think we'd be happy together."

"We've only been on a couple of dates," he said. "Who knows if we're compatible at all yet or not?"

Lorelei's phone vibrated in her pocket. She pulled it out to see that it was a message from Jesse and she could not control the smile that appeared on her face. Bryan raised an eyebrow.

"Is there someone else?" he asked.

Lorelei hated the way he asked the question. He made it sound like she and Bryan were exclusive and could not see other people. She tucked her phone back in her pocket without reading the text.

"There is," Lorelei said. "I have a boyfriend."

Bryan scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Seriously?" he asked. "And you have been leading me on?"

"Excuse me?" Lorelei asked.

She had no clue what he was talking about. She had attempted to ghost him. She was curious as to how someone could misinterpret that as flirting.

"I've been waiting for you and you have been fucking some guy this whole time?" Bryan asked.

His voice was growing louder and attracting the attention of some of the people in the lobby. The heat was rushing to Lorelei's cheeks, but not out of embarrassment. Instead, she was angry. She did not know how Bryan could be speaking to her like that now.

"We weren't something that required waiting," she said as she stood. "We went on three dates. We weren't in a relationship."

Bryan's jaw hardened. She could see him clench his hands into fists. Without saying goodbye, she walked away and back into the restaurant. She grabbed another drink, she knew she was going to need it, before sitting back down.

Bryan did not come back to the dinner.