Chapter 42

"Just what do you think you two are doing?"

Annie loomed over the two, the sudden interaction causing Aoi to trip onto the ground. Aoi's knees buckled with the impact of the porch's wooden patio scraping her designed white boots.

"Hey get up, this isn't the time to get comfortable on the ground. We need to leave, Marco is currently on the backside of this house, Jean from what I can tell is still inside. If you both don't hurry then you both will become victims to the two of them...or even worse the whole lot of them." Said Annie as she crossed her arms, and turned her body away trying to act as if she didn't care about the situation at all. Although the small brace she had at her wrist and the way she leaned on one knee rather than the other was a telltale sign she was still injured.

Grabbing Aoi's wrist, you pulled her up to her feet. A little startled gasp escaped her mouth which led to Annie quickly lunging to cover her mouth. The sound of the footsteps inside halted, the silence being louder than ever as the three of you slowly turned your heads towards the doorway.

A few moments of silence continued until the sound of footsteps drew closer at an alarming rate. Annie grabbed your arm, yanking you up by her side as she ran into the darkness of the wilderness.

Aoi scrambled up cursing under her breath at the sight of you two fleading. Her hand sustained splinters from the house's old rotting wood as she propped herself up by her hand. Bolting off to catch up a splinter of pain spread throughout her body.

»»————- ➴ ————-««

Your feet began to quickly ache and burn from the excessive running. The rapid sound of air became silent to your ears as you zoned out on the blonde in front of you. She should have remained in the hospital for further treatment, yet she went out of her way to help you. The bruised needle marks caught your attention as if she yanked them out in a hurry.

Annie seemed to really care about you, even if she came off abrasive and not really into the whole 'socializing' thing, you were glad you were there to be her friend. She deserved much more than she was credited for and deserved more in this life than others.

Sweat trickled down your temple, the burning intensifying as your claves felt as if someone had been ripping them apart from the getgo. Your throat grew cold and dry, almost as if you were suffering from a moment of asphyxiation. You didn't know how long you could keep up with the pace of Annie.

A gunshot was heard in the distance, ringing throughout the quiet wilderness. Stopping, you stopped Annie too. Both of you stood still not daring to look at each other but looking towards the direction it came from. Your eyes widened in shock before darting around to look for Aoi.
"..Aoi...?" You muttered to yourself, quiet enough to where Annie couldn't hear what you said.

Realizing your friend was never there, your face scrunched up in horror. Your lip arched and quivered as your eyebrows knitted upward in sheer terror. Annie tightened her grip on your hand, her thumb slowly moving small circles around the top of your hand.

Annie continued to stare at you, her shocked expression died out as she deadpanned at you ready to run off again. Sure it was a minor setback, but a mere gunshot can't stop them. Her ocean-blue eyes narrowed at you, shadows overcasting her eyes and lingering down to her hooked nose.

Turning your head towards Annie, her eyes bore into yours. Her stare catches you off guard causing you to jump back a bit. Although the grip on your hand tightened preventing you from moving away from where you stood. Her stare continued before she opened her mouth indicating talk.

"We need to continue on. I know what your thinking, but let's not jump to conclusions. For all, we know it may have been out of self-defense or even a missed shot. We shouldn't let this deter us, one wrong move and we're done for."

Eyebrows furrowing once again, you opened your mouth to retaliate from Annie's words. Before you could let out a single syllable, Annie caught you off. Her gaze intensified, the moon hitting her eyes to make it look like they were almost glowing.

"Let's say she bit the dust, do you really think she would want you to be moping around right now? Her sacrifice would have been in vain because the longer we stay here the chances of us getting caught increase. I'm not saying she is dead, but we need to go now. For Aoi and...for me."

Swallowing hard and letting out a deep breath, you contemplated Annie's words. A small tear escaped out of the corner of your eye, your body letting out small quivers. Suddenly wrapping your arms around Annie, you broke down. Tears escaped your eyes as you thanked and ranted on how much you were grateful for her.

Her rigid form and small puffs of breath were all Annie could do. Her eyes were wider than the moon that gazed upon the two. The stars were beautiful and shiny, smalls patches of colors being noticeable from the lack of light pollution in the city. Her hands slowly made their way around your waist hesitantly not knowing if what she was doing was right.

Receiving another squeeze from you, a small smile came across her harsh features. Tears made their way down her porcelain cheeks at the feeling of warmth truly enveloped her. The feeling of joy seeping into her heart and her stomach erupted in a series of butterflies. Looking back up to the sky, she couldn't help but thank whoever was out there for such a happy moment she wished would last forever.

"I-...Thank you (Y/N)...I felt as if I gained a purpose of my life back, without you I don't think I would have experienced joy like this..." She muttered, burying herself in the nook of your neck.

The feeling of wetness on your neck caused you to pull her closer to your form. This moment of intimacy was much needed and appreciated, letting both of your own feelings out in this small moment shared between the two of you. Smiling to yourself, you pulled away to look at her teary blue eyes.

Her nose and cheeks flushed in a small cherry red, with the under area of her eyes swelling up from tears that were shed. Gazing at her you smiled again, even bigger than before causing Annie to smile with you as well. Holding each other once again, you both broke away hand in hand once again.

"I am just happy to have you by my side, Annie. I should be thanking you for everything you've done for me."

Annie flickered her eyes towards the ground, flustered with not knowing what to say next. You knew that she was delighted by your words and decided not to continue on, focusing on the both of you to make it out in one piece.

"Okay Annie, I'm ready. I'm sorry for holding us back, let's go." You spoke, clutching her hand and squeezing it gently.

Nodding her head, the two of you walked in the direction you two initially walked in. With the newly gained determination, you would fight for your own and Annie's happiness. That's the least she deserved.

»»————- ➴ ————-««

Gargling on her own blood, Aoi writhed on the floor clutching onto the wound in her stomach. Her usually energetic peppy eyes, were rolling back in her head from the excessive searing pain that she never had felt before. The feeling of liquid seeping onto her hand made her panic even more.

"Well well look what we have here...quite the catch huh, Marco?"

┍━━━━━━━☟━━━━━━━┑
Look who has returned...uh me :0
sorry for being inactive for like almost a year, I sincerely apologized as I've taken a break from writing due to unfortunate circumstances. I promise that I will become dedicated to this book once more along with another Yandere AOT book I am inspired to write with new characters I would want to join the party. I thank you all for being patient and I hope you can continue to support me once more. Thank you all so much, you have no idea how important you all are.

With Love,
Momo 🍓