ten

chapter ten:

"Romance is dead, Romeo"
———

"Well pretty boy, if you ever want run away from home I would run away with you and we could live out our lives as average, broke, and happy college students".

Thyme and Lia bursted into laughter from her statement. It was a nice gesture, sure, but there was no way that either of them could survive as normal kids. They both had grown too used to the lavish lifestyle and the idea that they never had to worry about money being an issue. But it was sincerely touching that Lia had offered to throw it all away if he asked her to.

After their laughter died down the sound of crickets chirping was the only thing they could hear besides their breathing. Lia broke their eye contact by laying back down on the grass.

"I like you"

Her grin began to fade when she heard him speak. Thyme had just confessed to her. This made absolutely no sense, why would he suddenly confess to her of all people?

"...but," he continued, "I'm not sure if I'm just infatuated by you or if my feeling are genuine".

And there it was. The part she was dreading. This wasn't the first time she was confessed to at all but it felt strange when coming out of her friends mouth. It made sense though that Thyme wasn't sure if he romantically liked her or not. Lia was everything he dreamed to be. She was intelligent and kind, she was confident, she made people feel comfortable, and she was incredibly beautiful beyond human comprehension. But did this mean he was in love with her or that he admired her? Sure, his heart quickened every time that she spoke to him but that was a normal thing with Lia. She was able to capture the attention of others with a single breath.

Lia hadn't responded to his spontaneous confession and it was beginning to worry him. Had he fucked up their friendship? Did she suddenly hate him for how he felt? Did she think he was creepy?

"The moon is beautiful tonight," she said with a delicate tone, "isn't it?". Thyme looked up at the full moon. It certainly was beautiful. His attention was solely on the view of the stars as if he feared that if he looked at her she would disappear.

"Thyme."

That was all it took. All she had to do was say his name and he became like mush in her hands. His head snapped in her direction as he waited for her to finish her train of thought.

"Romance is dead, Romeo. I'd rather be a friend that you might have feelings for than a lover that you abhor".

The only thing you could hear after she spoke was the sound of the crickets an cicadas chirping and the sound of hearts beginning to break.

——— a/n

Hi! Short update today because I'm a terrible person that likes to leave you all on a semi-cliffhanger >:)