Chapter 25

Hey Zaliha!" Nadiya exclaimed immediately after dialling her best friend's number. Ever since the 'incident' they've not gotten in touch with each other and to be honest, Nadiya is feeling a bit awkward talking to her which is kind of stupid... One thing is for sure, she can't stop talking to her friend because of that. If anything, she will make her forget it too. What has happened has happened and it can't be changed.

"Hi Nadiya. How are you?" She replied gloomily.

"Are you okay?" Nadiya couldn't help but ask judging by her tone.

"I've not been feeling too well." She confessed.

"What's wrong with you?" Nadiya said, her voice laced with worry.

"Fever. I hope to get better before Monday though." Zaliha said. Nadiya chuckled internally. Even when sick, she's thinking of not missing school. Nerdy much.

"You will be fine In Sha Allah. Have you taken any medication?"

"It's actually an injection. I'm still feeling the pain Nadiya." She whined like a baby and Nadiya couldn't suppress her laughter.

"Come on don't be a baby." Nadiya scolded her friend.

"I can't. It's painful. Come over." Zaliha requested. It has been a wonderful thing that Zaliha and her parents are now living in Abuja and the best part of it all is that their house is not far from Nadiya's Uncle's. They packed to Abuja when her father got transferred from Lagos and then his daughter got her admission to school in Abuja. Nadiya felt so happy with the news when Zaliha told her. At least, her best friend is close to her now because she missed her when she was once in Lagos. They always get to video call when they miss each other's faces and that isn't enough.

"Sure. I was thinking of that too." Nadiya finally replied.

"I'll be waiting for you."

"I'll be there soon." She replied and ended the call.

She took her phone with her and wore a coffee brown Hijab, then sprayed some perfume and wore a flat black shoe.

She reached the parlour and met her mother, her Aunt and Uncle seated. She smiled to see them having a good time. They always come to the living room especially during weekends when they're less busy, and chat until bedtime and they will go back to their rooms. She loves that about them. She adores it and sometimes it amazes her when she sees her mom smiling and laughing freely albeit deep down, she's worried about all that is happening to them. She allays her fears and tries to be happy. She respects her even more for that.

"Good evening to you all." Nadiya greeted with a smile while bowing her head.

They all replied with a genuine smile and she reciprocated the smile.

"Where are you going to dear?" Her mother asked.

"I'm going to Zaliha's. I want to check on her because she's not doing too well." She responded.

"May the lord grant her quick Shifaa." Her mother prayed and the room echoed with 'Amin.'

"Safe journey dear." Hajiya A'ee prayed.

"Thank you Aunt." She replied and was about to leave when her Uncle spoke.

"Nadiya, tell the driver to take you there." Alhaji Buba said.

"The house isn't that far Uncle. I'll just walk there." Nadiya politely declined the offer.

"I insist. Don't worry."

Nadiya doesn't want him to worry, she can easily walk. By the way, the house isn't that far, just seven houses away from theirs.

"No Uncle. Please don't bother. I promise it's not far from ours." She said and to her surprise, the trio laughed.