Chapter 16

After taking a sigh and wiping away the tears in her face, she started. "Your father and I got married happily. Everyone was so happy for our wedding. The day I got married to your father was the happiest day of my life. I was also sure it was the best day for your father because he loved me alot and he was extremely happy that day. He always made me happy and special as well. I knew your father as a good person, even though before the wedding, people who knew him came to me and told me that he isn't a good person but I shoved it off because I knew he's good. Or rather, he showed it to me.

After two months of our wedding, your father started acting strange and always losing his temper for every little things. I didn't know what was bothering him but I knew there was a reason for that. Everyday, neighbours will come to my house and I will think they came so we could exchange greetings but they will tell me that my husband indulge into a fight or he abuses someone. I thought it's a lie so I didn't believe them. Until a close neighbour of mine whom I trust alot came one day and told me that my husband got fired from the bank he works at. She said he stole money from them which result to him being fired. She knew this because her husband is the bank manager and he told her.

I was suspecting he's not a good guy but I was not at all sure until one day, he came back late at night, all drunk and he began to tell me everything. He told me he was never nice but for the love he has for me, he pretended to be one. Your father suddenly stopped caring for me after the incidence. I believed your father's lack of care, love and concern added when he lost his job because we started suffering from financial issues which disturbed him alot which led him to start drinking and indulging in bad stuff. That was when I had you in my womb." At this, Hajiya Hadiya glanced up at her daughter and saw sadness and tears gushing out of her eyes. She started regretting why she's telling her, but one thing is for sure, she needs to know otherwise, it won't be good for the two of them later.

One day, I heard your father talking to someone on the phone on how to get some money and that he must get it at any cost. When I heard that, I became scared and worried too, afraid that your father will land himself in trouble. He was too distracted by poverty that he hadn't realised that they were trying to traffic him. So I mustered the courage to ask him what it was and to make him aware that I've heard everything he just said. So he told me that someone offered him a job which will earn us a lot and the person is rich and influential. I asked which job it was and he couldn't tell me because I figured out he doesn't know himself. He only said it's in abroad. I became scared and tried to stop him while telling him he should be patient and God will make it easy for us. I also told him it might be trafficking but he didn't listen. So he left me and didn't care about me, even when I told him I'm also due and he needs to see our bundle of joy which I was going to give birth to.

So one day, I was in labour and I gave birth to you. Your father wasn't there when I gave birth to you. In fact, I was at home and all alone. I struggled to call your grandmother and that was when she came and quickly took me to the hospital. During the naming ceremony, your father wasn't there. It took seven days straight and he wasn't aware that I gave birth to you, though my mother called him and scolded him for not caring about me and the baby but he still didn't come after hearing the good news. So after the naming ceremony while waiting for him and he didn't come, I named you Nadiya and we celebrated the naming ceremony, forgetting the fact that your father didn't show up. Or rather, I tried to be strong even though, it hurt a lot. It still hurts.

Some day after seven months of your birth, your father came back and immediately prepared for a trip and thank goodness, I saw him. I wouldn't have known because he wouldn't have told me. I asked where he's going to and he said he's leaving for abroad and I should not expect his return soon. I tried every way to stop him from going, but he didn't listen. I even told him that I can't manage alone with the baby. I said that just to make him feel touched by what I said because ever since your father lost his job, he's never given me a penny. I used my own money for mine and your necessities. He left me still. That day was horrible for me because, before your father left, he told me what shocked me till today..." Nadiya interrupted while asking what it was.

"What did my father  said to you which shocked you mom?" Nadiya asked curiously, tears coming out of her eyes.

"Nothing dear." She wiped her tears and wiped her daughter's tears too and smiled. "It's nothing."

"I'm so sorry mother. You went through all this difficulties for me, yet I didn't understand you. I blamed you for everything. I even hated you. I didn't give you the chance to explain yourself. I was so stupid!... She bursted into tears and her mother hugged her.

"Sh it's okay. I'm glad you've forgiven me now."

"Forgiven you?! I'm the one you're supposed to forgive because I wronged you." She covered her face with her hands, letting the tears to fall out.

"You didn't wrong me my dear. Anyone in your shoes would have acted the same. I'm just happy that you're aware of everything now." Her mother said and her daughter hugged her happily. Her mother however, scarily thought for a second, for the dangers which will face them soon.

So all this time when my mother kept removing me from society's talks and gossips, she has been protecting me and maybe, maybe the society knew about our family's background, so my mom decided to take me to my Aunt's house so I wouldn't find out and the society won't point fingers at me.

And everything I do, my mom will say I have anger issues, now I know it isn't about that. Now I know it's to secure my future.

God forbid but if you were in Nadiya's shoes and you found out the terrible things your father did to you then, will you still forgive him?!