Chapter 18

After escorting Zaliha to the gate, Khadijah and Nadiya went off to their rooms. Khadijah quickly changed into a soft pink pajamas and climbed her bed. She has been thinking about her encounter with Zaliha and while she has thought what she did was silly, she couldn't help but laugh. It was actually hilarious seeing Zaliha's face. Not to talk about when she greeted her! She realised that she has been a bit brutish about that whole incidence that happened when they started having grudges against each other. She knew she was unreasonable but she couldn't hide her jealousy because she's the jealous type which she thinks is her weakness.

Her mind finally became at ease after talking it out with her mother.

When Khadijah and her mother left the parlour and sat down in the bed, Khadijah's mind drifted away from what her mother was saying to her. She was lost in thoughts and her mother stared at her for a few seconds, unbeknownst to her, before she tapped her lap and brought her back from her deep thoughts.

"What is wrong my dear?" Her mother asked, concern featuring her face and her daughter shook her head.

"Nothing mom, it's nothing." She managed a smile and her mother knew right away that she was lying to her. So she came closer to her and held her hands.

"Listen to me, I know something is bothering you and you know I hate to see you worried right?" She nodded and her mother continued. "Then tell me what's wrong and I might help you with it." Her mother said and she sighed.

"Okay... actually, Zaliha and I got into a fight at school..." Her mother gasped but she quickly rephrased her statement.

"Not exactly a fight but I went up to her and warned her to stay away from Nadiya." She said while dabbing her forehead.

"Why would you do that?" Her mother demanded.

"It's because I'm always jealous when I see her with my cousin. So I told her to stay away from her." She answered.

"Did you tell Nadiya to stop talking to her?" Her mother asked and Khadijah shook her head.

"Look, you can't force someone to stay away from the person he likes a lot just because you're jealous to see them together or you don't want to see them in a relationship. That's not how the world works. You can be with the person and you can't deny someone to be with the same person. There are too many people in this world and you can't just be with a single person and expect him or her to just be with you forever, it's not possible. Don't be selfish and think about others too okay?" Her mother advised.

"But I don't like seeing them together. I feel like she's snatching my cousin away from me." Khadijah complained.

"You never know the amount of love somebody has for you. You can't even predict. Nadiya loves you a lot and you know that. And she loves you as much as she loves Zaliha too because I believe she's her childhood friend too right?"

"Yes but I'm also her childhood friend and we grew up together and love each other alot." Khadijah argued stubbornly.

"Hmm okay but you're cheating on Nadiya too!" Her mother said and folded her hands.

"What?! How?!" Khadijah exclaimed and her mother smiled to see how shocked she looked.

"Don't you also have a best friend too?" This time around, Khadijah stared at the ground, feeling ashamed.

"You don't need to be ashamed. I'm only making out a point here. Just like you love Nadiya and is so jealous to see her with someone else, you're also friends with another person. Do you get what I've been saying to you now?" Her mother asked and she shamelessly nodded.

"Good. Now give me a hug." Her mother demanded and before she could finish talking, Khadijah had hugged her so tightly and shouted an 'I love you' to her ears.

Indeed, a problem shared is a problem solved as the saying goes. Now that she realised she has made a mistake, she will meet up with Zaliha and apologise to her for being irrational.

Just as she's about to sleep after praying Isha, her phone beeped and it was a text message from an unknown number. She tapped on the message to read.

Salamu Alaykum Khadijah. How are you doing? It's professor Ahmad, your lecturer. I just wanted to hear from you as it's been long since I heard from you. Take care!

A simple message yet it made her so happy. She can't even tell how happy she is right now. He cared so much about her that he messaged her. He indirectly made her aware that he has her number. He loves her so much, yet she ditched him. She feels horrible! Not long ago, she felt relieved from the problem she had with Zaliha and was happy that she will have a comfortable sleep without any worries, but now, after remembering Ahmad, she feels terrible for what she did to him. Oh God, she's always creating one problem after the other!

He's not even upset with her after what she said to him. He's so nice! She has decided that she will not let him suffer all because of her. She will only make him smile and happy. So she has made a decision to accept him and be with him forever and ever. If it's for the best off course.

***

The next morning, Nadiya woke up early because she's having lectures. The poor girl didn't even went back to sleep after praying fajr! She got ready immediately after praying fajr and finishing her azkar. She went to her mother's room to greet her but discovered that she isn't in the room which she wondered where she went to. So she greeted her aunt and went to Khadijah's room to say goodbye. When she reached there, she saw Khadijah sleeping soundly. She laughed and wished it was her, for the girl was sleeping peacefully under a blanket and the room was so cold, best for a sound sleep! She quietly shut the door and decided to go make some pancakes! Her favourite breakfast.

She went to the kitchen and when she reached there, she heard sounds coming from there and when she peeped, she realised it's her mother. When her mother turned and saw her, she gave her a bright smile which Nadiya returned.

"Good morning Mama!" Nadiya said and hugged her.

"Good morning my baby." Her mother replied.

"Hmm it smells like pancake in here!" Nadiya beamed and her mother laughed.

"Yes, your favourite breakfast!" Her mother said and Nadiya quickly went to get a plate.

"Wow! Serve me quickly mom so I will eat before I get late for class." She said, eagerly awaiting her mother to serve her some pancake.

Her mother served her two slices of pancakes and added a honey syrup on top. She also gave her a glass of milk to top up. She thanked her mother and went to the dining table to eat. She ate them all and gulped down her milk. She checked the time which is 6:40 and hurriedly took her bag, hugged her mother and went to the driver of the house to take her to school. Soon, she called him and they went off.

Seems like Khadijah has changed her mind  about Ahmad. Who's happy about that?

This Ahmad's name sounds familiar 🤔